Lake Superior Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toe Cozy

Reaction score
Springfield, Springfield!. Avatar: Spruce Peak Kim
On my very first back packing trip several years ago an AT thru-hiker suggested the Lake Superior Trail as a pretty rewarding long distance hike. It's a boring day at work due to the snow and people canceling their appointments so I'm daydreaming. Anyone have experience with this trail? thanks.

Do you mean the Superior Hiking Trail? From my understanding, it is completely within Minnesota, running from Duluth to Canada, along the NW shore of the lake. I believe it is part of the North Country Trail.

I can't say I know much about the long-distance trails, but the Lake Superior shoreline is beautiful!

http://www.shta.org/
http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Toe Cozy said:
Yes, that is what I'm talking about. I did look at the SHTA website. Just curious if anyone has personal experience hiking on it. Thanks.

whats the site? I'm a Soo boy.

I ran 100 miles of the Superior Hiking Trail during a race back in the autumn of 1999. I think it was the Silver Bay-to-Grand Marais section. (Kicking myself now for not climbing Minnesota's high point -- it's RIGHT THERE!) The trail reminded me very much of Maine, with lots of water (Lake Superior & many smaller lakes/ponds), moose, loons, rugged footing, boggy sections, beautiful birch forests, and lots of solitude. There were some little (1000 feet or less?) ups and downs but no real mountains to speak of. I don't remember any bugs but imagine they could be pretty nasty in late spring/early summer. I'd think it would be a really nice trail to thru-hike.

Stinkyfeet

Stinkyfeet pretty much knows it all, except she lacks experience with the bugs.

Used to hike it, used to winter camp along it. Absolute best time to do it is in late September/early October for the color. Absolute worst time to do it would be in summer when bugs are bad, bad, bad. Very early in May, before blackflies and right at greenup, would be OK. Always remember that the largest natural refrigerator in the inland Lower 48 is on the other side of the highway and dress accordingly. It can be done with bivy sack, tent, and even sleeping in commercial establishments. If you have more specific questions, post 'em up or send me a PM.

(Yup, I do know it all, even what a Soo boy is and what he eats. And how his favorite dish is pronounced, so as to avoid embarrassing himself in what passes for polite company among Yoopers. )

Last edited:
sardog1 said:
(Yup, I do know it all, even what a Soo boy is and what he eats. And how his favorite dish is pronounced, so as to avoid embarrassing himself in what passes for polite company among Yoopers. )

ha ha :D
Wow, the word yooper just came up on VFTT... awesome.

If you've never been to Lake Superior, I'd say DO IT. You won't be dissapointed, unless you do it in the summer and hate bugs (as has already been mentioned). May will be COLD, WET, and GRAY. September or October are your best bets. August wouldn't be bad either, but may be hot and there may be more people.

You're right about May, at least the "very early" part. It can be not too bad for hiking or miserable.

I've been gone too long and forgot about the snow that fell on my grandmother's birthday in Duluth on May 8. And this probably won't happen again in this epoch -- however, one year back in the 70s, the ships came into Duluth harbor, followed closely by the ice blowing off the lake and through the ship canal, and they were locked in. It was June 12, as I recall. It impressed the $%^@ out of my relatives who were visiting from Norway at the time.

Forget about May, unless you have a local weather observer to consult and the flexibility to jump on good weather.

sardog1 said:
You're right about May, at least the "very early" part. It can be not too bad for hiking or miserable.

I've been gone too long and forgot about the snow that fell on my grandmother's birthday in Duluth on May 8. And this probably won't happen again in this epoch -- however, one year back in the 70s, the ships came into Duluth harbor, followed closely by the ice blowing off the lake and through the ship canal, and they were locked in. It was June 12, as I recall. It impressed the $%^@ out of my relatives who were visiting from Norway at the time.

Forget about May, unless you have a local weather observer to consult and the flexibility to jump on good weather.

I lived up in the UP for 3 summers, and multiple times there was snow up in the Lake Superior area in August!

rocket21 said:
I lived up in the UP for 3 summers, and multiple times there was snow up in the Lake Superior area in August!

Yep. My grandfather had seen it snow at the family farm in northeastern Minnesota every month of the year. My dad and I packed our lake trout in snow from a Memorial Day fishing trip one year.

Toe Cozy said:
I don't even know what that means. But the site is the one listed as a link in blacknblue's post. www.shta.org

DOH! I didnt even see the link in blacknblues post, sorry. Soo is short for Sault Ste Marie, again sorry. :)