Ferncroft Rd--best way to get there?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carla

Reaction score
Folks, I bet you can advise. I am going to try the Dicey's Mill trail up to Passaconoway sometime soon.

Question, coming up from Boston, heading north on 93, is it better/easier to take Rt 25 and then snake my way up to Tamworth, then left on on 113 and up to 113 A to the town of Wonalancet and get Ferncroft Rd from there?

Or, better to go higher on 93, to Ashland exit, and take 113 up to North Sandwich, Whiteface and then 113 A to Wonalancet.

Is there another way (besides a Rt 16 approach) that I should consider?

And: is it easy to see the turnoff for Ferncroft Rd.

Finally, I saw a posting last weekend that said there was very little snow on this trail/area--I am wondering if that is still true. I was on Greeley Ponds trail last weekend and there was a fair amount of snow there, which is very close.

Thanks in advance!

I usually take I-93 to the Ashland exit;
Then.....
Route 3 to Rte. 113
Rte. 113 to Rte. 113A
Rte. 113A to Ferncroft Rd.

In the past, Rte. 113A has been a very bad road (rougher than the hiking trails :D ) but it was generally improved over the last year and now is pretty nice.

It's a pleasant ride.

My mapping program also calculates this to be the fastest way from Nashua.

Earl

you can't get there from here :D

there's not really a fast way to get to Ferncroft. Google Maps says I93 is quicker by Rt 16 by 8 minutes (2:45 vs 2:53).

there are 2 right-angle turns on Rt 113A. The turn for Ferncroft is the northeast one of these (the 2nd one if you come from the I93 side); if I remember right, it's pretty obvious.

I can't advise on Asland exit/Rt. 3 way, but I would take I93 to exit 23 (rt 101 and then rt 25) take 113 where it leaves 25 about 10 miles before rt16. It will take you through Center Sandwich, which is the most adorable little village.

As you approach Ferncroft you will see a huge feild on your right and a steepled church far ahead. Just before you reach the church you'll come to one of the 90 degree turns. Just go straight onto dirt road. You'll see the signs for Ferncroft.

happy trails :)

EDIT: if the Ashland/Rt3 option involves Sandwich Notch Rd, I would advise against it! (no map in front of me)

Last edited:
The Ashland route doesn't take Sandwich Notch road, no! It's pretty straightforward but in summer can be slow as 113 winds along the northern edge of Squam Lake. Still, though, I think it's faster than going through Meredith and Weirs Beach.

So take 113 through Ashland past the yummy Common Man restaurant. Tat sharp left turn is as noted in the village, shortly after where Sandwich Notch Road comes in (you might see the sign). But in any case, 113 is that sharp left and there's a big restaurant on that corner, too, so just follow 113.

Keep going, and 113 will turn right while you stay straight on 113A.

You'll come to that big open field around the Wonalancet area and 113A will turn right at the corner of it ... just go straight and you're in Ferncroft.

Mind the frost heaves ... 113A is known for 'em!

forestgnome said:
I can't advise on Asland exit/Rt. 3 way, but I would take I93 to exit 23 (rt 101 and then rt 25) take 113 where it leaves 25 about 10 miles before rt16. It will take you through Center Sandwich, which is the most adorable little village.

As you approach Ferncroft you will see a huge feild on your right and a steepled church far ahead. Just before you reach the church you'll come to one of the 90 degree turns. Just go straight onto dirt road. You'll see the signs for Ferncroft.

happy trails :)

EDIT: if the Ashland/Rt3 option involves Sandwich Notch Rd, I would advise against it! (no map in front of me)
Rt 101 is down south (east and west of Manchester.) I believe you mean Rt 104 which will get you there, but it goes through Meredith. Nice town Meredith, however there are often functions such as craft fairs, biker week, or the Rotary Fishing Derby which can tie you up for an hour or more if you are unawares.

IMHO get off 93N at exit 24 Ashland. Take Rts 3 & 25 east for only about 4.5 miles into the town of Holderness and turn left on 113. Then as FG says.

Sandwich Notch Road is not an issue as it runs from Sandwich to Waterville Valley (not maintained in winter.)

arghman said:
you can't get there from here :D
Pretty fair asessment, I live less than 20 miles from the trailhead and it takes me almost an hour to get there.

Last edited:
carla said:
Finally, I saw a posting last weekend that said there was very little snow on this trail/area--I am wondering if that is still true. I was on Greeley Ponds trail last weekend and there was a fair amount of snow there, which is very close.
I hiked Mt. Whiteface last weekend and I live in Tamworth :) There was maybe 2-3" at that summit, and we picked up another 2" down low from this recent storm. Bring traction or else you may end up in traction! :)

The fastest way to this area from Boston is I95N - Route 16N - Route 25W. You can go for simplicity by taking Route 113E to Route 113A W (this would be straight at the 4 way in downtown Tamworth) or you can take some back roads from Route 25 to Route 113A.

Ferncroft Road is pretty easy to find from 113A - there's a 90 degree turn on 113A next to a church...you take a right instead of doing the 90 degree turn, following secondary road (Ferncroft Road) for a minute or two, then the parking lot is to the right at the back of a field.

Thanks, all!

Lots of good advice and deets there--much appreciated!

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody, and happy hiking... :)

I always use the route suggested by FG (it is Rte.104 not 101) but then maybe I am just set in my ways

When you see the church across the field, just angle L before it on a narrow lane (coming from Sandwich)

One of the mapping programs suggests taking town roads to get more directly from 25 to 113A but I've never bothered with the extra navigation to save minimal time, but if you're a GPS freak or have a navigator it is certainly shorter