Sounds like an icy, windy weekend this week?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Reaction score
From the sounds of the weather, it's above freezing and drizzling in the mountains up north now. With the temp drop this weekend I'm guessing the trails will be very icy? It sounds like it will be very windy too.

What do you all think?

I was planning a 3 day trip up the Valley Way trail, across to the perch shelter and then down and out. It sounds like it might be a bad weekend for that kind of trip.

Dismal is the word, looking out the window :(

Still plan to go to Lonesome Lake late morning as a first installment in paying off this afternoon/evening's calories :)

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.

I'm doing Chocorua on Saturday and only plan to bring crampons. Have fun on your Carter trip.

I'm thinking crampons and microspikes; given the rain and warmup I think any snow up there is going to be frozen solid.

Crampons for me means bringing my plastic boots. Is there enough snow at the lower elevations for boots?

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Dismal is the word, looking out the window :(
Shortly after posting this I looked carefully out the window and saw that, while it was very misty, there was no precipitation. Radar confirmed dry weather . Add warm temps and no wind, it was much better than forecast. We had a delightful pre-turkey hike, up Lonesome Lake Trail to Lake, then Dodge Cutoff to Hi Cannon, back to car.

Burned a few calories (not many), time to start cooking replacement calories.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow is going to be a considerable departure from today above treeline. We are expecting windchills near 35 below on the summit of Mount Washington. Might be a good day to stay below treeline.

KDT