cabot or waumbek region info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctsparrow

Reaction score
Anyone live or have hiked cabot/waumbek since the snow and ice has arrived? Curiious about trail depths, equipment needed, my son only has snowshoes at this time, no traction devices. Also am curious if anyone has recently used old cabot approach (closed trail) please PM me on that info so it's not visible here. May just do Waumbek....has anyone tagged So Weeeks from Waumbek vs from NO weeks approach in any weather, just curious of general comparisons here for non-winter condition hiking...thanks, ct sparrow

I went up the Cabot & Bulge the weekend before Thanksgiving, bare booting, snowshoes wouldn't hurt, as long as they are not the recreational snowshoes, that should be adequate.

Hi, Sparrow.

I hiked the Weekses a month after we met on Boundary, going over Starr King and Waumbek. I enjoyed the hike, but of course there was no snow, then. It took me 4 hours 40 minutes to reach North Weeks, and, including a lunch break, almost five hours to get back to my car. Some of my pictures are here.

You may want to check out the other pictures, too, although I’m afraid I didn’t get any good ones of you or Nate.

what would you recommend?

Mike P. said:
snowshoes wouldn't hurt, as long as they are not the recreational snowshoes, that should be adequate.

As I am in the market for my first pair of shoes after renting for a while, how do you differentiate between recreational and non(?)-recreational?

In an nutshell, you want the kind with some types of traction devices on the bottom, be they metal teeth or a toe crampon. You don't want the kind that are just for floating on flat, level snow (like the old style "tennis racket" looking snowshoes).