Nin is retiring (for cat lovers)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
The MW Obs summit cat, Nin, is about to retire and move to the valley. He's approximately 17. A successor, from a local humane society, is being chosen, and the naming game is on. Here's the thread from the Obs site. I'll miss the old guy up there.

In one of Kevin's trip reports below, there's a great picture of Nin snagging a piece of turkey off a Thanksgiving plate the other day.

Nin

I'd like to take credit for this great shot, but it was actually taken by Lynn Metcalf, a former intern (Lynntern) who came to join us for her Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, I was busy cooking while the fun was going on. Great shot, Lynn!

IMG_3102.JPG

It is certainly nice to be one of the last volunteers to work with Nin, I will miss him. I'm sure his successor will have just as big a reputation before he is through.

KDT

Thanks for the correct attribution and reprint, Kevin, and for the wonderful photo, Lynn.

Nin had big shoes (paws) to fill. Remember his predecessor, Inga, of the famous "locked out" rime ice photo? i'm sure Nin's successor will make his or her own mark.

P. S. Are there any photos of Jasper, the obs cat who reprtedly liked to eat asparagus?

Last edited:
Should Mt. W Obs have a cat?

What happens if the summit cat gets sick? How fast can you access a vet up there? Who is the actual "owner" of the summit cat?

Maybe the Mt. Washington Observatory shouldn't get a new cat. Are they looking out for the welfare of the animal, or just looking for an opportunity to sell more posters?

I'm not doubting that everyone up there has loved Nin, Jasper, Inga, etc... but just trying to look at the big picture...

Open for debate :)

Oh now I can tell, this is gonna be good...

Where's that sitting down to eat popcorn and watch the show smiley I've seen on other sites? :rolleyes:

I think having a cat at the summit might help keep up the morale on the really cold, lonely and dark winter nights on the summit. Even though they aren't my favorite kind of pet....a dog would be my choice. But you would probably have to take the dog out to go to the bathroom often, and that would pretty tough when the temps are subzero and the wind chills are at -50. :eek: If I was working up there, having a cat around would prob help me getting used to the atmosphere, so I wouldn't feel I was in the middle of nowhere, on top of New England, isolated. I hope they get another cat. :)

grouseking

Cat

It could take up to 10-12 hours to get a cat down to the vet, depending on the circumstances. The same for a human.

One reason for a cat here is mice.

Chris from State Park brings his dog Red here for extended stays and has for years. It doesn't seem to be a problem, he just lets him out the door, he does his business and comes back.

I know what you're thinking. Let me tell you, there are a lot more hikers doing there business outside that door than dogs.

KDT

doc99 said:
Maybe the Mt. Washington Observatory shouldn't get a new cat. Are they looking out for the welfare of the animal, or just looking for an opportunity to sell more posters?

Are you being serious or are you just stirring the pot, so to speak? ;)

Um...the cat is 17 years old, moving down to the valley to live a handful more years, it eats turkey off of humans' plates while they smile, laugh take pictures and then talk about it on the net. 17 years old

Seriously though, any chance this tradition started as a way to keep the mouse population in check?

I don't know since I've never been up there and don't really know anything about this other than what I've just read on this thread. (Highly informed I am!;) ) Anyway, it seems like a beneficial situation to me. Take a cat from the humane society and give it a lovely life of fame and adoration up in a cool place for 17 years. Lucky cat. I hope mine cat doesn't read this thread or she's gonna wonder why her life is so boring and lacking in glamor.

I bet a mini-chihuahua would be better up there anyway! :D

Oh please, thats a silly argument.

Cats pretty much take care of themselves, incase you've never had one. How often does a cat get "sick" and need to go to the vet? Not much, even less I'd suspect if it isn't in contact with all the other filthy cats in the neighborhood.

I can't see how it would be a bad thing to have a cat on the summit.

I don't see availability of vet care as important an issue as how a cat and its predatory nature is going to impact the local wildlife. With that said, I have trouble seeing the summit of Washington as a wild area.

I'm looking forward to meeting the new resident and I wish the very best to Nin, who isn't that old yet, not in comparison to my feline friend Becky who is 23+.

Toe Cozy said:
Lucky cat. I hope mine cat doesn't read this thread or she's gonna wonder why her life is so boring and lacking in glamour :D

You may be joking but there may be an element of truth. I lock up the lap tops when away. The cats may go on line hoping that VFTT posters will start taking more pictures of birds and rodents and forget about moose and bear.

Also, they may go online with your credit card to order cat nip.

And I just had a correction from Becky. She just had a birthday, so now she's a grand 24 years old. I don't think she'd like living on the summit of Mt. Washington, but I also don't think she'd want to retire to Arizona.

Of mice and Nin

I reiterate, though I could be wrong, but, mice are the main reason Nin is here, and why there has always been a summit cat. Believe me, there are mice here.

As far as a cat's impact on the wildlife population up here, he is indoors 99% of the time, so, only the mouse population is threatened. The chances are far greater that he would become fox food than him having ant serious impact on wildlife if allowed to roam outdoors.

KDT

Lest anyone forget, Pushka (the best IMHO)also got rid of 2 weasels. That's a task for any cat.

doc99 said:
What happens if the summit cat gets sick? How fast can you access a vet up there?
(I'll assume doc99 is a concerned Vet and animal lover and not a Troll stirring the pot...)

I'd bet the summit cats get better/faster scheduled/emergency care than millions of Ratters located in equally remote mountain/island/backwoods/farm locations. It's not like they're on Mars. Having said that, I agree with Zippy. ;)

Well, looks like everyone agrees that the Observatory should get a new cat...

Yes, I was stirring the pot a little... I've grown up enjoying my visits with the summit cats anytime I was on the summit. They definitely are getting a chance at a unique life and are surrounded by many people who care for them.

One of my cats just had a urinary tract blockage last month and needed immediate care or else he could have died. I was just thinking of that type of scenario occurring on the summit. It's not like you can just jump in a car and drive down the Auto Road mid-January...

I enjoy a healthy debate! You don't want to make a decision for a cat (who doesn't have a choice in the matter) just based on a tradition. Hopefully the new summit cat likes to catch mice! My two cats just like to watch them... :)

doc99 said:
It's not like you can just jump in a car and drive down the Auto Road mid-January...

:)

This is true but just think, he can ride down on the BOMBADIER :D