Kahtoola Microspikes - great for this time of year

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Microspikes/Stabilicers/instep crampons can also be useful during full winter as well as the edges. I bought 2 pairs of Microspikes--one for each type of boot.

Doug
I have two pair also, medium and large.
I think they are a good investment and I wanted the versatility of changing boots if I feel the need to.

Walking up and down steep hills in city?

I work in a hospital that is up a steep, often icy hill. I have had trouble making it up the hill on foot after an icy/rainy drizzle and have gone down the hill with little control thanks to gravity. Cars seem to have the same problem :p I have seen people lose foot and land on their backpacks (usefult to lessen the shock of falling on one's back). Anyway, both the hill and the hospital are there to stay. SO I am looking for additional traction this winter.

I am considering the Microspikes but wonder if the hard surface of sidewalks and streets combined with the pitch of the hill will render them useless? Are thse only good on trails? Have you used them in the city?

Thanks
BML

I might just opt for the Stabilicers if I were planning to juse use them for streets/sidewalks. In fact, I use my old Stabilicers for clearing snow off my steep driveway. You might consider the Stabilicer Sport versions, cheaper than the more heavy-duty kind.

Some others have also used Yak-Traks for this purpose. I think they're even cheaper than Stabilicers.

Microspikes seem like overkill just for hills....

Edit: Looks like Campmor.com has "Stabilicers Lite", I didn't see the "Sport" version.

I am considering the Microspikes but wonder if the hard surface of sidewalks and streets combined with the pitch of the hill will render them useless? Are thse only good on trails? Have you used them in the city?
Any form of traction aid used in the Eastern mountains will see plenty of rocks. However, anything used in town will also see lots of salt. Stabilicers might be a better choice here because the structure is rubber, not metal. It is probably worthwhile to wash the salt off after using them to reduce the corrosion.

Also pick up a set of spare screws--stabilicers are prone to losing them. One trick is to glue the screws in with Shoe Goo.

Doug

I agree with Bob. I think Stableicers would be better for sidewalk use etc. They are a little more versatile that way. They have been issued to mailmen. I know that some fuel companies issue them to their drivers, with brass rather than steel cleats.