How are Trail Signs Made?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Does anybody know exactly how trail signs are made (i.e. AMC trail signs, USFS trail signs, etc.).

I'm curious as to the various strategies, the types of tools used, etc. I really have no idea whatsoever.

Thanks!

Well, the one in your avatar is a plank of wood sawed to size. [Looks like it might be pine, which is cheap to obtain and easy to carve.]

The letters are carved, probably with an electric router (which is basically a drill with a short, wide bit) while the board is clamped to a table.
It's safe to assume that before carving, you'd draw or stencil the lettering with a pen or pencil so you know where to cut.

Paint sign and allow to dry. Dig hole for post, plant post (pound pointy-tipped post deep into soil with heavy hammer if there is enough soil), backfill posthole, attach sign to post (nails, bolts, or screws). [Actually, it's usually easier to attach the sign to the post in advance.] Optionally, paint over heads of nails/screws/bolts on front of sign.

Last edited:
I know a router is used for DOC signs (given away by the not nearly straight letters). I'd guess that a lot of other signs are made using a wood miller, which gives the user more control, thereby creating straight letters.

Nartreb: You forgot a step in New York state, at least in the catskills.. before you lay down the stencils for the router to carve out, make sure you get somebody who has no clue how to spell or transcribe the right name into the sign so you get things like "acre pt" and not "acra pt" or "trialhead" and not "trailhead". :) You wouldn't believe the amt of signs in the catskills which have mistakes...

Jay

I've also noticed in the Catskills they sometimes paint the Double Dot just AFTER the actual turn in the trail. :rolleyes: Leads to a lot of little dead-ends, but I digress...

Pamola said:
I know a router is used for DOC signs (given away by the not nearly straight letters). I'd guess that a lot of other signs are made using a wood miller, which gives the user more control, thereby creating straight letters.
Yup, I can tell who made some of the older signs by their handwriting. Some folks took better care with the routing, and I think the USFS must have an automated tool (wood miller, I'll have to look that up) for the letters and logos.

Jay H said:
Nartreb: You forgot a step in New York state, at least in the catskills.. before you lay down the stencils for the router to carve out, make sure you get somebody who has no clue how to spell or transcribe the right name into the sign so you get things like "acre pt" and not "acra pt" or "trialhead" and not "trailhead". :) You wouldn't believe the amt of signs in the catskills which have mistakes...

Jay
We employ some of the same idiots over here in NH as well. ;)

Vermont state parks too:

t13.jpg

Sure the children playing here are a little "slow", but so are the parents...

Some signs are on treated wood, don't know when treatment is applied

Some signs have the letters painted a different color than the background

At one time, signs were fastened to a separate backing board which was more permanently affixed to the post/tree

Some signs have a sticker on the back saying who made them, if it begins with FCI that might indicate why the sign maker knows or cares little about hiking. They may also have a sticker saying there is a fine or imprisonment for vandalism. These could be combined with a sticker "DAMAGE THIS SIGN AND YOU MAY GET TO MAKE ITS REPLACEMENT"

It used to be that the tunnel at Lafayette Place had a sign for the Old Bridle Path and next to it a sign for the Old Bridal Path but my photo didn't come out

RoySwkr said:
These could be combined with a sticker "DAMAGE THIS SIGN AND YOU MAY GET TO MAKE ITS REPLACEMENT".
Don't tempt me! :eek:

Sometimes, it seems the purpose of the signs is just to teach you not to trust them! :eek: :D

Jay H said:

Jay
It's even worse than that over here! The STATE does not even know how to spell Shandakan / Shandaken. There are 2 official, green, metal signs at either end of Shandaken that disagree with each other! :eek:

Don't Fear the Typos (with extra cowbell)

Come on, now, didn't you laugh when you saw "SLOW CHILDERN"? I'm laughing right now, as my computer underlines it in red, looking at me like Rastro.

I love imperfect trail signs because they are a story unto themselves, allowing the insightful to deduce all kinds of entertaining things about the community that produced them. Having your icons created by Buildings & Grounds is always good for a chuckle!

Pamola said:
A "sign router" guy had a kiosk at the Sandwich Fair a few years ago. He was so smooth with his freehand routing, I watched him for 15 minutes. With a ruler and pencil he would mark out upper and lower limits on the pine blank, depending on the size letters you wanted. Rough out the lettering freehand with a pencil and go to it with a small edge trimming router. Took him less than ten minutes to put our nine letter last name on a pine blank. It is not perfect but pretty close.

WMNF is looking for volunteers to help obliterate our 100-sign backlog. There is a computerized router, but basic woodworking skills are also required. The workshop is in Campton at headquarters. Plealse let me know if you're interested. Trail signs need love too!

Yup, a router, vise grips, and a good heavy, stable table. I made some back in the day. When it came to retire some (translation: throw out, those were the days before retired trail sign auctions) they gave me first choice if I wanted to keep some. I took the Cherry Mountain Trail sign I had made and gave it to my folks before they moved out West. I painted the wood white first, then routed, and filled in letters in black. Good times

AMC probably has someone with a CNC to make them. Super fast and accurate. Looks like the guy in the video was using one.