Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full pictures in postings - Argh - rant

Full pictures in postings - Argh - rant

Some of us living in rural places do not have access to the internet other than dialup (26.4 kbps in my case). No cable, no view of Hughe$$net, no DSL.

We would wish that whenever people put a warning in the posting title that large pictures are present so we would not have to subject ourselves to several minutes of downtime waiting for people's "wonderful pictures" to load, or just stop the load and move on to another thread.

Thumbnails will suffice and actually let us pick and choose rather than be forced to view everyones photographic wonders.

Tillson, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillwalker
    Some of us living in rural places do not have access to the internet other than dialup (26.4 kbps in my case). No cable, no view of Hughe$$net, no DSL.

We would wish that whenever people put a warning in the posting title that large pictures are present so we would not have to subject ourselves to several minutes of downtime waiting for people's "wonderful pictures" to load, or just stop the load and move on to another thread.

Thumbnails will suffice and actually let us pick and choose rather than be forced to view everyones photographic wonders.
    Many people will not read this thread, nor will others heed it. Thumbnails are beyond many people's capabilities.

My suggestion is that you update your settings in USER CP / Edit Options, to not show images. You can still display avatars if you choose, separately. If you really want to see something from time to time, you can always turn it back on.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

Tom,

You can also configure Firefox to conditionally load (or not load) images on a per-site basis. This would block avatars as well though. You can probably hit "escape" too to stop loading images. You can always right-click on an image and say "view image". I have Flashblock installed for Firefox so that flash ads don't automatically load. That speeds up page loads even on high-speed.

Based on the number of "how do I inline images?" questions, people like to see them, and wish to do more. So, no offense intended here, but people who do have high-speed aren't likely to want the dial-up experience for themselves either. It's a fair amount of work to produce small enough images that they load quickly for everyone. Personally, I try to make them small when I embed them.

And while we're "griping", why can't everyone use image hosting sites with big pipes (lotsa bandwidth)? I hate paying for 8mbps when some image site only delivers 200kbps.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Related to your internet connection:
    Have you thought about getting a mobile broadband connection? I know many folks in fringe areas that do not have DSL or cable service use them in their houses.

I have my service through Sprint and while sitting in my car with a simple antenna at the Rumney climbing parking lot I was getting a 1100 kb/s download.

IMO, the only downside about the technology are the horrible upload speeds.

Anyway, more info at evdoinfo.com
    Last edited by cbcbd; 05-06-2008 at 10:00 AM.
    Doug

Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin
    Many people will not read this thread, nor will others heed it. Thumbnails are beyond many people's capabilities.

My suggestion is that you update your settings in USER CP / Edit Options, to not show images. You can still display avatars if you choose, separately. If you really want to see something from time to time, you can always turn it back on.
    I agree w/ Hillwalker about the etiquette issue. As for the technology side: with Firefox there is probably a way to block images based on image size, though I'm not sure how. (will look into it...)
    --Jason
    moose plates help conserve New Hampshire's natural heritage
    New book from NHNHB: The Nature of New Hampshire

FWIW, picasaweb (Google) has a option for people to cut and paste HTML for those forums that have it enabled that will automatically link the full size image to a thumbnail. I've done this a couple times rather than the basic [ img ] tag.

Jay
    You must go and you must ramble
    Through every briar and bramble
    Till your life is in a shambles
    Maybe then you will know
    -"You Must Go" - John Hiatt

Turning off images

Turning off images works pretty well except when you get to a site where the designer failed to label the images with an identifier so you know what you would be seeing. Navigation on these sites is a pain.

I have considered mobile coverage except that my community has no cell towers and thus no cell coverage.

So, I guess turning images on and off depending upon which site I am navigating to is a solution?

Due to my constant AT involvement I am a member of Whiteblaze.com and am never bothered by these big pix there. Wonder why that is?

Do you use Firefox? If so, find the plugin called "TamperData" (you're an IT guy, if I recall correctly) and it will show you all the requests made and to what sites and how long each take to download. That may give you a clue. I think the "free image sites" have limited-sized pipes but even so they ought to have no problem filling up a dial-up sized pipe.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Well, I am guilty of pasting in pics. Didn't even consider dial up issues, thanks for posting, Ridgewalker. I will try to put "pic heavy" or something of the like in my titles from now on.
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 329/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~Rest in Peace Sweet One~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem 47/48

Quote Originally Posted by una_dogger
    Well, I am guilty of pasting in pics. Didn't even consider dial up issues, thanks for posting, Ridgewalker. I will try to put "pic heavy" or something of the like in my titles from now on.
    Well this is an issue I never considered. In fact, I have admired forestgnome's trail reports so much (and his wonderful ability to find wildlife) that I've been trying to put more pics into my reports. But like una_dogger I will put something like "caution: product may contain pics" into my subject line from now on. Thanks for making me aware that there was a problem Ridgewalker.
    My hiking photos

Map of Mountains I've climbed: Map

35/35 Catskill 3500

You could also use a proxy (such as junkbuster http://www.junkbusters.com/ijb.html) to filter out all pics with a pattern such as *.jpg. This would block all *.jpg files all the time which might be overkill.

It also logs all downloaded data which might help you to locate specific sites and links.

Doug
    Last edited by DougPaul; 05-07-2008 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MonadnockVol
    Well this is an issue I never considered.
    Look around the web--low bandwidth is an issue that many web designers/posters have forgotten. (It works quickly to my desk, so what's the issue? ... )

IMO, all web designers should check their websites on low bandwidth links.

But they don't listen to me...

Doug

But as noted, for here on VFTT there's an option right in your User CP to turn off inline images, and it replaces each one with a link so that if you do want to see it, you can just click it.

Much easier than mucking about with Firefox plugins, unless you want to go through that exercise.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

One thing to stress is: use thumbnails! I use them pretty much always, but some might consider my thumbs a bit big. I've been using ones 225 pix in the small dimension and with the other dimension variable (some are square and some rectangular, both landscape and portrait). Like in this thread: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22206

Yes, there is a map there bigger than that, but it's a line drawing (only 65k) so I figured that would be OK.

To get my thumbs I just lay out my tags thus (spaces put in after the "[" so the interpreter won't think these are real tags):

[ url=][ img][ /img][ /url]

Then stick the thumb's url between the IMG tags and the full size url after the URL=. Just about any photo display web site will have ready made small and large versions of your pictures so this is pretty easy to do.

I don't bother with the little icons above the edit window. It gets to be automatic.

Question to Hillwalker and others with low bandwidth: Can you tolerate the kind of thumbs (and the map) in that thread?
    Last edited by Papa Bear; 05-07-2008 at 12:15 PM.
    Pb

Papa Bear's Web Site
    Papa Bear's Hundred Highest List
    Peakbagger NE HH Peaks Map
    Papa Bear's Fifty Finest List
    Peakbagger NE FF Peaks Map
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted. - Albert Einstein

If those on dialup don't want to deal with the accidental full size image that is hosted on other websites like Webshots, Phanfare, picasaweb, etc. you could set up a distinct localhosts file and put the IP addresses of them there and just have it point to yourself (127.0.0.1)

Random link to help:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

You can google it all over the place to find out how for your OS, but it'll block any image from those picture hosts so you don't have to rely on a person's foresight. If you do actually want to view pictures, you can make a script to copy a non-blocking host file and then reload, and just run that.

I used to have dialup..

Jay
    You must go and you must ramble
    Through every briar and bramble
    Till your life is in a shambles
    Maybe then you will know
    -"You Must Go" - John Hiatt