Corey Road Parking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTSpoons

Reaction score
If one does not use the summer parking lot for the Seward range, where does I park?

I thought there was a winter lot a few miles before the summer lot on the right.

Any information would be helpful. :eek:

Corey Road

Hey don't bother to respond to this post. I did a search and found the answer.

The traditional route to the Seward Range is the second trailhead on Coreys Road. The first trailhead, which heads towards Duck Hole, is prior to the winter gate and would be a feasible parking location. The two trailheads are roughly 2 miles apart with generally flat terrain (in case the gate is closed and you have to calculate the extra miles).

First, it's a good 3 miles from the first trailhead to the 2nd trailhead. Second, in winter the road is no longer maintained (i.e., plowed by the town) beyond the end of the pavement, which is approximately 1.5 miles before the first trailhead. In other words, plan on an extra 4.5 miles each way for winter as compared to summer.

That being said, it seems that the road is sometimes plowed by the caretaker/workers at the Ampersand Club. At least last year it was. But I wouldn't count on it. Also, in early winter it is sometimes possible to drive in with 4wd, but only if the gate is open (which it may not be) and probably only with tire chains (at least have them with you, it's a heck of a towing fee if you get stuck in there).

Lots of variables, so planning on the extra 4.5 each way is your safest bet.

And finally, somebody else chime in if my info needs updating.

Last edited:
Has anybody driven to the summer TH in the past little while? Just wonderin'.

randomscooter said:
Also, in early winter it is sometimes possible to drive in with 4wd, but only if the gate is open (which it may not be) and probably only with tire chains
Last winter, it was driven with a normal car, with studded snow tires, and front wheel drive. No problems. But what RS said is still true! Be careful!

I was in there this weekend past and the road was still passable to the trailhead. It looked to have been plowed. I ran into a couple hikers that said it will be privatly plowed through the Christmas Holiday for the people who own camps back by the lake. I hope this is true as I want to get the Sewards on 21-22 of December.

Any other information would be great, maybe keep an update going.

An inquiring mind is interested to know how this snowfall will effect the status of Corey's road. Even if they plow to the camps, they won't clear the summer trailhead? Just checking.

No they wouldn't. I don't think they will break trail for us either. I would love to get Seymour on Friday. However, an unbroken trail and no parking equals small chance of success. Not a great way to start out the winter season being skunked.

I'm going to drive over before work on thursday to see what the situation is and I'll report back. If it is plowed, maybe carpool in and bring a couple shovels to clear out enough to park.

peak_bgr said:
I'm going to drive over before work on thursday to see what the situation is and I'll report back. If it is plowed, maybe carpool in and bring a couple shovels to clear out enough to park.

Salt, Sand for that blasted steep hill by the swamps. A tow truck, bulldozer and any other heavy equipment you possibly could get in there. :eek:

I do feel for those, who were hoping to get a few steal peaks in before snow conditions got to bad. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the gate is already locked, with this Northeastern so early in the Season. :(

As of this morning, December 17, 2007, the DEC official position on the section of Corey’s road which travels from the end of the pavement (past the last garage) all the way to the summer trailhead is close to vehicular traffic since December 10 and will be till next May as the posted signs says (It was installed in November 2006). The gate past the bridge may be open at times depending on the Ampersand Club activities but there will be no consistency on the plowing of the road and the clearing if any will be done by that Club for their own vehicular traffic only. Therefore the warning sign posted by the DEC will apply all winter.

***The last car towing cost the winter climber $800+!***

Last edited:
Hey Peakbagger

Wish you luck on the Sewards.. If you go in please post your trail report. I might attempt the Sewards the last weekend of the year.

Any information you can provide regarding conditions would be helpful.

If I was going to the Sewards I would ski in as far as possible, making sure that my wax job was as top notch as I know how. When 3 of us skied the road and a chunk of the trail a few years ago we all felt a flood of relief when we switched over to the skies on our way out. Tired muscles got a rest and new muscles took over.

Coreys

Road in good shape and driveable all the way to the summer trailhead as of Saturday (12/22/07) evening. If you have AWD or 4WD go for it. I have a Honda CRV and the ride was completely problem free. I also know that someone with a subaru made it in and out OK. I was first there and stopped at the last building on the road and spoke to the man there. He was the one who had ploughed the road and he told me that I would be OK. I am not sure what the rain/snow on Sunday did to the road so I suggest to talk to the people if there (at the last building).

By the way, the parking now is back more. We used to be able to park just before the bridge over Stony Creek 3.2 miles from the summer trailhead. Now there are No Parking signs all over the road and there is no parking at the snowplough turn around which is 4.2 miles from the summer trailhead. There is a parking sign on the right side (as you drive in, i.e. south side) of the road 4.3 miles from the summer trailhead.

To say the truth, the people who ploughed the road did clear a small area just before the bridge and I did see a car parked at the snowplough turn around (I don’t think it was there for a long time because I saw an old couple cross country skiing the road, going towards the car).

So if you still need Seymour or Seward, Donaldson, and Emmons, this is the time to do them. It will save you 3.2 to 4.3 miles each way!