Confirmed Gray Wolf in Adirondacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the article:

"Unfortunately, it may require another hunter accidently shooting another wolf to figure out if there are more."

So they think it might be a solo wolf who wandered down from Canada, but it might be a pair, and they won't know until someone shoots another one. Maybe it's a a pack. We won't know how many there are (were) until we shoot every last one of them, evidently.

Tom

I'm glad to hear the story. I'm confused about something though - aren't there any controls on shooting coyote like we have for deer and bear? It seems like this guy shoots whatever he wants.

Also, speaking of grey - I had asked this in a previous thread but I guess I wasn't clear - I have seen a grey fox in the Albany area, but didn't even know they were in New York State. Does anybody know about the grey fox in the ADK or Catskill area? I have never heard of any.

Hungry like the Wolf.

I finally figured out how to make a campsite bear-proof. Now they have to be wolf-proof too?! At least they don't climb trees.

I agree, very exciting news, no matter if it is a loner, or part of a pack. NY has a lot of wilderness. If there is one, there may very well be more. If there can be aligators in NYC sewers, why not wolves and big cats in ADK Park?

I hope the DEC will limit the size of the packs and require permits.

gray wolf

Lawrence, the 47-year-old hunter who started the fuss, continues to hunt coyotes, for the $20 or so he gets for the pelts

I would love to see a gray wolf or any wonderful wildlife while hiking. I suppose I'll get a lot of crap for saying this but it makes me sick to think that guy kills & the value placed on the coyotes life is only $20! That makes me sad - actually it's quite pitiful. If I had the money, I'd give him $25 for each one he didn't kill. Figures something so awesome as a gray wolf shows up and he had to kill it. Am I the only one who feels like this? Most of the replies made a joke of the whole thing. Ok, so I'm waiting for all the backlash. :(

shadowcat -- you won't get any flack from me.

What is the market for Coyote pelts anyway ?

I know I'm gonna take some heat here, If you have never seen a coyote fur coat on a radiant blonde... they make great coats.
I also see alot used for Native American ceremonial wardrobe and headresses.

Before the flames rise, I hunt and fish and respect all that I take. I would not waste and pride myself on mostly doing it the old woodlands indian way. I instruct the young in these ways at Boy Scouts and hope I pass on some of this respect for the lesser animals and the land from which they come and we share.

I am not trying to defend the shooting of the wolf, but, the DEC has said over and over that there are no gray wolves in NY. Coyotes are legal for hunting. This guy probably thought he was taking one heck of a coyote, and until the US F&W intervened, thats what the state told him as well. If you are anti-hunting thats fine. But in this case, more of an open mind from DEC with some warnings to hunters to be careful of there target because there MIGHT be gray wolves in the state, just might have caused this hunter to hold up on the trigger. Just my 1½ cents.

i tried to bite my tongue - really!

Barry SR:
I'm sorry I really tried to just let it pass but your crass comment about how good a dead animal looked on a blonde just can not go without comment. actually, maybe it can because the comment speaks volumes just in of itself for those of us who think differently. As far as you justifying what you do "the old ways" that's b.s. and that kind of rheteric doesn't cut it anymore - not many are still buying it. We don't, unfortunately live in the world of our forefathers. Their ways often can no longer be the ways of our world. We don't HAVE to hunt and kill to feed and cloth our familys. And, in addition our GREED has created a world where we probably couldn't even do this if we had to. All our needs are met thru mass production of meat and by-products. I have never in my life believed animals were ours to do what we wanted. Their life is just a valuable as mine and they deserve to live a life in the way of their forefathers, not on some blondes back! Get over yourself and quit making excuses for what you do and using the boy scouts and all that other crap as a conduit to justify it. You do it because you enjoy it. And I for one will never understand, befriend or trust someone who kills for pure pleasure. Would it be so impossible for you to change? There are traditions that no longer have a place in our world: slavery, bigotry, feeding Christians to the lions - and, killing for pleasure. I wish I could get you to see things differently, have you ever considered "hunting" with a camera instead of a gun or a trap. Maybe someday you'll understand and change. Maybe.....

"Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow creatures is amusing in itself. "
--Froude (1818-1894)

Last edited:
Lets not troll for disagreements

My impression of the initial post was a "Hey everybody look, we have a confirmed Timber Wolf in the ADK's" I'm not sure it was intended or should become a debate on the current price of coyote hides or whether or not the killing should or should not have taken place. I think the lighthearted comments earlier recognized the post for what it was, and is not an indication of the "cold-hearted, ambivilance to all wild things" nature of the posters (myslef included) .

I'm not a hunter, nor do I participate or condone the recreational killing of any animal, However, I recognize the right of others to do so, within the confines set up by the DEC.

In any event, as I said, I just think it's cool they can confirm what alot of people already suspected.

That's just my opinion and no disrespect is intended towards anyone.

This is great news. It is unfortunate that one of these animals had to die, but through its death it has given proof of wolves in the Adirondacks. This may force the DEC to recognize that there are wolves that need to be protected. The death of one may very well save the lives of many.

Last edited:
this thread has certainly deteriorated rapidly.