sticky zipper

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
I have a Lowe digital camera case that I sweat on all the time since I put it on my sternum strap and put my camera in it, have done so for years. Finally, the zipper is now sticky enough to be hard to unzip from the years of dried out Blood, Sweat, and Tears :))), well, mostly sweat..

Do you think I could use something from this website below:

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/980618b.cfm

to clean it up, make the zipper better, do you think anything will react with the plastic zipper?

Mentions using vinegar, or a baking soda mix, to household detergent.

Sweat on, :)
Jay

Your first problem is most likely sweat deposits. (It also looks to me like the oils in sweat can congeal over time to make the problem more interesting...) I'd try some dish washing soap in water to clean out the zipper, perhaps using a tooth brush.

The plastic zipper should be safe from pretty much anything that is safe on skin. However, any coatings (eg waterproofing) on the fabric may be far more delicate.

Unfortunately, anything you do to wash it is likely to leave deposits (of soap etc) unless you rinse the whole case.

Zippers also wear--if it is sufficiently worn, it (or the entire case) may simply need to be replaced.

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks, the zipper is not worn, it's just the section on the top that gets blasted all the time. the case isn't waterproof and has a built in rainfly, that I could use but I usually don't. I forget the model it's like a Lowe AW-20 or so that fits my Canon G3. I tried to soak it in plain old tapwater but that didn't really make it any better. I think I will try the handsoap next and then perhaps the baking soda mix, and then the vinegar..

Jay

Jay,

Try scrubing it clean (with whatever cleaner you want to try) and an old toothbrush, then rub the zipper with a bar of soap. The peices of soap will should make the zipper slippery again and might also keep it from getting clogged up :)

skimom said:
then rub the zipper with a bar of soap. The peices of soap will should make the zipper slippery again and might also keep it from getting clogged up :)
I use soft wax to lubricate zippers. A lot more moisture resistant than soap.

Doug

I'd put in a protective mesh bag and toss it into the washing machine machine the next time you do laundry. When it's dry, put wax on the zipper as Doug suggests.

If that doesn't work, stop at Staples and get a new one ... I think they're now under $10! ;)

The dishsoap worked well... All is well for Katahdin, Chip.. ;)

Tim: I thought about the backpack strap ala the velcro strap thing but the G3 is fairly bulky and I found that modifying the sternum strap carrier to something that would work with my shoulder strap, would make the carrier a bit too saggy. Plus, I've used it on there for years now and this is the first time I've seen it gummed up.

Jay

My original issue was the model I liked didn't fit the A70. Since the A70 has been problematic, it has been reduced to a backup camera / in-house use. It's replacement (A570 IS) fits snugly in the Mountainsmith small and so everything worked out. So far the bag does not show any signs of sweat. I'd have to be leaning way left or have my head turned way left to get it.

Thanks for proving my theory, BTW ;)

Yours in heavy sweating,
Tim

Zipper lube

Not sure this is recommended by manufacturers, but I have lubricated zippers for many years with spray silicone or more recently with a teflon type. You can buy a can at any hardware store. I spray a very small amount on the slider and immediately move it around. It normally allows one handed operation on tent zippers. Useful for many other applications, seems unaffected by water and it lasts a long time.

Zippers often wear out before the item they are on. Frequently the slider is the problem. Some can be slightly adjusted with pliers to force the teeth to mesh properly. With some effort, many sliders can be replaced. Most sewing stores sell zipper repair kits with some parts (and instructions).