Cold Hands

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pilgrim said:
I've been using hand warmers for a long time. I now buy the Little Hotties brand in bulk at Costco. The packaging is better than the more commonly available Grabber Mycoal brand, which I have never been able to open without tools or teeth.

Have you tried rigging them so they sit against your wrist? The idea is that it warms your blood as it flows into your hands. A friend with Reynaud's seemed to feel this made them more effective.

I have also had an increasing problem with cold hands - in fact it got to the point last year that I thought I would have to give up winter hiking unless the temps were going to be in the 30's! I was always hiking with hand warmers (right on my skin) and they still didn't keep my hands from getting very cold. Taking off my mittens (with glove liners on - the best are smart wool ones) to put on snow shoes or crampons or even just to have a snack meant that my fingers would be so COLD that they wouldn't come close to warming up for nearly 1/2 hour after.

Since last January, however, I have been taking a whole food nutritional supplement that has made an incredible difference! Now I occasionally end up taking my gloves off because my hands overheat!!! This isn't a cure, by any means, and my fingers and hands still get cold - but it is not like it used to be. Now if I take my mittens off to eat a snack or put on snowshoes, it only takes about 5 minutes for my hands to warm back up. When I am moving and generating a lot of body heat, I am often bare-handed - at least until I stop.

If anyone is interested in learning more - PM me.