Basin slides

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Hartigan

Reaction score
I've recently seen some pictures of Basin in winter and the slides are very impressive. Does anybody know what aspect of the mtn they are on ( it looks from the photo to be north). I'm not familar with the mtn. so any info on approaches to these slides and an indication or opinion on whether or not they are skiable would be great. I'm not a 46'er but I am trying to ski as many of the adk's slides as I can. Nothing like them anywhere.

There is a slide on the upper reaches of Basin brook on the north west side of Basin. It can be reached by following the basin brook upstream from the trail going into slant rock. There are a few times where you will have to leave the brook bed to get around steep cascades.

We only followed the slide a short ways up as the recommended route to Basin left the slide before the top. the slide had a lot of exposed rock and ice.

When we climbed this route, there were two backcountry skiers that were skiing up to and on the slide. We did see them later and they said they had fun.

I agree, it sound like it's the Basin Brook slide. A very impressive sight indeed. If you want to ski a nice slide, I recommend Bennies Brook on Lower Wolf Jaw or the North Face of Gothics.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like if people are skiing it the time to go is now. I have skiied Bennie' brook and was on True north a week ago Sunday. Is there anyplace you can get view of the slides proir to actually climbing them, the Adk's slides have been sketchy this year and Basin looks to be long ways in. As a side note has anybody been to Dix's north face this season , always one of my favorites. It looked ok from Giant a few weeks ago.