Murphy,Middle and Bennett Lake trail condition

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceNsnow

Reaction score
I am interested in reports or the expected condition of the trail (and road) starting at Hope and ending at Pumpkin Hollow, off Rte 30 north of the Sagandaga Reservoir.

My interest is to do this loop as a trail run (w/ or w/o snowshoes?) or as a mountain bike ride when the conditions are acceptable.

Any information that would help me plan when this is feasible would be greatly appreciated.

If you are interested in joining me, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Thanks!:)

I tried skiing this trail from the Hope end on Saturday, intending to go to Middle Lake. I was turned back within .25 mi. due to wet and icy conditions. Basically the trail was a sheet of ice punctuated by protruding rocks and debris with about an inch of running water on top. Can't speak for the conditions at any other sections. I ended up going to Pine Orchard which had beautiful spring conditions.
ecc

Murphy Lk trail is flooded

Hi ecc!
Thank you for the timely trail conditions. I was planning to do the Murphy trail tomorrow but will definitely have to opt for a different route. Thanks for saving me the travel time!!

I did get word, not from VFTT, that the trail crossing at the outlet of Murphy Lake was flooded due to beaver dams; and waist deep water flooded the trail in the middle of the '03 summer.

This person also told me that he spoke to a ranger about this problem, who said that the trail would be re-routed to the west side of Murphy Lake. (The current trail is on the east shore of Murphy Lake.) He told me that the bushwhack on the western side would not be too challenging and is actually shorter (in distance) than the existing trail on the eastern side of Murphy Lake. A date for when the trail work would be complete was not given. I hope this is of interest to you.

Thanks again!:) :)