Travelling lite

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider solo

Reaction score
I haven't been on the boards that much recently, but every winter season I like to hear what other folks might be doing for their exercise, work out, physical therapy etc to keep in shape or get in shape for the winter season.

When I was trying to explain to a "trainer" what my goal was for the season I think I was finally able to put the "travelling lite" concept into something concise that made sense (at least to me)

Sure I want to travell lite... I'm getting older and tired of carrying all that winter weight around esp when I'm shoeing... the more weight the more you sink in the snow. (a weight to flotation ratio thing).

The big temptation is to lighten your pack, we read about it all the time,
Lite pack, lite pack , lite pack....
but
One look in the mirror tells me.... if I want to carry less weight on the trails
it won't be coming off my backpack.
It should be coming off of me...
I can look at that backpack all I want and obsess about an extra ounce or two that I might have in it
but if I want to carry less ....1 pound, 5 lbs, 10 lbs or whatever... I'm missing the major source of the extra poundage ...myself.

What are you folks up to ?? Any new exercise stuff that you've had good luck with ?
I haven't tried yoga yet...but I'm mighty tempted...anybody give it a try yet ??

(hmmmm guess that wasn't so consise after all....)

spider solo said:
The big temptation is to lighten your pack, we read about it all the time, Lite pack, lite pack , lite pack....but
One look in the mirror tells me.... if I want to carry less weight on the trails it won't be coming off my backpack. It should be coming off of me...
I came to the same conclusion last year. Since then, I've lost 40 lbs. Made a big difference.

Current exercise program to maintain this condition is simple and far from revolutionary: my wife and I run for an hour every morning before work, and my son and I pump iron three times a week.

BTW, if you want to get pushed in your workouts, choose a 115 lb. woman and a guy 30 years younger to be your training partners... :cool:

not sure this is what you were asking, but what about keeping active year round? i can still bike to work a few days a week, paddle, take stairs instead of an elevator, walk instead of driving if its not far. i think there are many ways to "exercise" that are also more earth friendly and make less of an impact and keep us fit. being more active in general would help prevent dips in activity when seasons change.

*Group Power* at the YMCA

spider solo said:
What are you folks up to ?? Any new exercise stuff that you've had good luck with ?
Around this time last year I was looking for "something" too... this is what I found. I just renewed my membership for another year!!

"Group Power is the original barbell class. Designed for all ages and fitness levels, Group Power delivers real results, real fast. This athletic-based workout uses barbells with adjustable weights to work every major muscle group in the body. With motivating music and awesome instructors, Group Power strengthens, tones, and defines like nothing else can. And quite simply, it's the fastest way in the universe to get in shape."

Onestep

exercise

the starchild said:
not sure this is what you were asking, but what about keeping active year round? i can still bike to work a few days a week, paddle, take stairs instead of an elevator, walk instead of driving if its not far. i think there are many ways to "exercise" that are also more earth friendly and make less of an impact and keep us fit. being more active in general would help prevent dips in activity when seasons change.

Yep, I was thinking that people reading the forums were already an active bunch of people.
Some, like myself have been "repaired" a time or two...that's why included the reference to physical therapy along with any other exercies or weight training. For me winter snowshoe mnt climbing is the hardest of my activities so I tend to train for that, esp. these last few years .
In the summer I tend to focus on kayaking and exercises that would help be stay flexible...swiming and things like that.

(I think in this thread I should have had somethng about exercise in the title, so it wouldn't get passed over as another ultra lite, carry this, don't carry that thread.)