Backcountry skiing S. Twin/Guyot,Bond

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardsale

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to spend 2 days exploring possible ski lines in the Red Rock Brook drainage formed by these peaks. Can anyone comment on easiest way up this drainage in late winter conditions? Not sure I would trust the snow pack on the river itself at this point. Our base camp will be on the Franconia Brook Trail close to its junction with the Red Rock Brook. Has anyone skied any of the lines in there?

Thanks!

I've explored lines off both faces of West Bond and Guyot W Face. I tried to find a good route down from the 4357' peak to the pond at the headwaters of Redrock, but the trees combined with the steepness to be too much.

When undertaking ski adventure such as this, I'm a firm believer that you should climb what you ski if possible. There are places where I've diverged from that guideline, but Redrock basin isn't one of them. (One exception was the Hellgate side of W Bond.) Travel alongside Redrock Brook is very feasible until at least the mid-3000s; by the time things steepened, routes should be visible (unless clouds are low).

Not sure how much snow is on the slides right now, if that's what you're going for. Otherwise, the brook itself does make for a speedy descent.

Thanks for the info. I agree wholeheateldy that lines such as these should be climbed before skiing. That is our intent. If you were to head in there again, would you travel up the stream to the north or south sides? Overhead photos seem to suggest hardwoods on the south-facing bank, but easier terrain on the opposite bank.