Paris sled hole and grommet

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Now that I have my intended design on my sled all worked out in my head, down to the details.

I have my 10' steel EMT conduit (not bent yet), with the plan of using eyebolts on my PES to attach it to the sled. then another piece of spare AL or something to add as a crossmember closer to the harness. I hope to get somebody to sew some thick webbing in multiple loops (like a daisy chain on a pack) so I will have multiple attachment points to my hipbelt.

My question is there a metal grommet I could buy to add to the hole I'll be drilling in the sled or is the idea simply to use multiple holes and just try to distribute the pressure to as many holes as evenly as possible? I saw a picture on skipulk.com right by SherpaKroto's name mentioned where they used a thin metal bar and put 6 holes in it and through the PES. 2 holes used for the eyebolt and antother hole with screw/nut combo a few inches towards the back.

Also, the width of the U-bar. I was told try not to make the U bar wider than the sled (so obviously it wont be plowing any snow if in sled tracks in deep powder).. But to do so, would reduce the flat part of the U since the bend will obviously cut into the flat part of the U... The narrower the flat part, the closer together I'd have to mount the eyebolts and the less side to side stability I can get... as well as the mounting issues. How much of an issue would be to extend beyond the side of the sled with my U arms?

Jay