Mt Willard -- Mt. Willard Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
Trail Conditions: The trail to the ledges is very nicely broken out. Enough snowshoes have packed it to make it fairly smooth. The trail itself which follows the track of an old carriage road is never really steep. There were a couple of downed trees of no consequence. The stream crossings which were small, were frozen over and covered with snow. The trail was so smooth that coming down was particularly easy.

Special Equipment: The trail can be easily barebooted to the ledges, but snowshoes are ideal. From the ledges to the true summit snowshoes are indispensable.

Comments: Have been faithfully reading the trail reports to pick up trails like this that can easily be done with the pup. Thanks to Hikrgrl for the tip on this one. I had passed by this trail numerous times on my way up Tom, Field and Avalon but had never taken the jaunt up Willard. The views from the ledges are spectacular. Despite the Mt. Willard sign just to the right as you reach the ledges it obviously was not the true summit. With the use of a GPS we decided to go to the 'top'. Once off the ledges snowshoes were indispensable. I stepped on a couple of spruce traps and found myself up to my armpits in snow. The snow in places was four feet deep. There must have been a slight crust under a bit of powder because Lauky was generally able to walk on the top of the snow. It was an eerie sight almost as strange as it would have been if he had been walking on water.

Ed 'n Lauky

[email protected]