Food in the tent in winter???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rasgoat

Reaction score
Hello,

I am curious, what is the practice with food in the winter, can you leave it in the tent while you hike and overnight. I think the bears are asleep but what about little critters?. What is your experience?

I jast got back from camping in the dacks and this was going through my mind as i was trying to sleep next to a bag of food.

Thanks!
Ralph

there are active Pine Martin, at least one that I have experienced, in the Dacks, in the winter. maybe not Bear Canister worthy, but plenty 'o care certainly.

ALthough not common bears expecially males do not hibernate all winter. They are actually not true hibernaters. It is possible to see bears in the winter. I have seen them in my area and Cats in winter

No really...I've had problems with Mice before but I was also at a pretty popular location. They will eat through ANYTHING!!! Watch those leantoos too.

When it comes to food, there's always a chance something will come along. Just be prepared if it does and what the outcome might be...and/or practice what is practiced to be the right thing to do...hang it all up or bear-barrel it so nothing can get at it, right? The whole idea is to disassociate food with humans, right? This way, the animals have no need to come near us. It'll benefit all.