Garfield Saturday?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keeper

Reaction score
I'm looking for info on hiking this time of year in the whites. Saturday looks like a decent day for a day hike with overnight temps approaching freezing. I want to hike Garfield (or perhaps passaconaway) and was wondering if it's doable without snowshoes, crampons, etc. I've hiked most of the 4's but not Garfield. I've been on summits below freezing but I've never had to contend with much snow or ice. As always, I'm fully prepared to turn around if need be. Any info is appreciated.

If I do need special gear, what would I need?
Any gear recommendations?
How much more time should I anticipate if Garfield is about a 6 hour hike for me without snow?
Where can I learn more about cold weather day hiking?

-Shawn

With the warm temps forecasted, snowshoes would be a very good idea. Otherwise you may be sinking knee deep or even waist deep in the snow. Crampons would possibly be useful on the steep section just below the summit on Garfield.

Be aware that the winter parking for Garfield is just off Route 3, adding about 2 miles round trip to the hike.

Every year is different, but it's not unusual to need snowshoes through April and sometimes even into May.

last year i was using snowshoes almost to the end of may in the white mountains - in may you would start out with no snow at the trailheads, then in the higher areas with trees it would be deep, then above treeline it would be rocky with no snow.