Glastenbury Mtn VT fire tower and Wilderness

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoySwkr

Reaction score
For many years, the Glastenbury Mtn fire tower has been identified as the point on the Long Trail from which the most wilderness is visible. Now that much of the land has come into Federal ownership, a push is on to turn it into Congressionally-designated Wilderness. I find it interesting that the environmental group Forest Watch specifically states in their proposal that the fire tower will be allowed to remain. Either they have recognized the recreational and historic value of the fire tower, or they realize that enough other people do that any Wilderness proposal which requires removal would be a non-starter.

The last time I was there, it was a muggy day and haze prevented distant views. However a few seconds climb changed me from sweating like a pig to cooling in the breeze.

I am glad to hear the proposal calls for the fire tower to remain. Glastenbury was one of my favorite spots along the AT in Vermont. After a really fun night at Goddard Shelter, I climbed up to the fire tower twice to take in the views -- which were amazing. So many peaks jutting up out of the clouds... it was just beautiful.

It would be a shame to change it.

- Ivy

Doesn't the firetower interfere with "man-made structures" policy in a wilderness? Like the train bridge ruins in the Pemi (which are still there)? I thought there was some conflict about the bridge ruins because it's man made, yet a historical artifact. I wouldn't call the firetower "historical".

The view is awesome though. Glastenbury is pretty well wooded, and the fire tower view is something else.

There was a meeting last night on this topic at Mt. Snow, anybody go?

Is it possible to camp on Glastenbury Mt.? I was thinking of a possible Long Trail hike in August.

Fred

There is a fabulous shelter - Goddard Shelter - about a half mile before the summit of Glastonbury. It's got the best location and view I believe in all or Vermont. On the AT it was perhaps the best view since Riga Shelter near the summit of Bear Mountain Connecticut.

The Glastonbury summit has no view whatsoever except from the tower.

Stay at Goddard.

Pb

>>Doesn't the firetower interfere with "man-made structures" policy in a wilderness?<<

possibly the wilderness policy is different in vermont - - new york is the state where the DEC wants man made structures removed in designated wilderness areas.

All was cloudy when I went through there, but I climbed the tower just the same. It was something to look forward to........maybe there will be a view, maybe I'll see something/anything?! I'd love to go back and see the views someday, hope they keep it.

ken said:
>>Doesn't the firetower interfere with "man-made structures" policy in a wilderness?<<

possibly the wilderness policy is different in vermont - - new york is the state where the DEC wants man made structures removed in designated wilderness areas.
This is Federal Wilderness, while structures are generally not allowed they sometimes allow historic ones to remain (and of course Congress can write anything they want into the enabling act. The Green Mountain Club opposed any Wilderness designation on the Long Trail until they were assured that shelters could remain. I think the same was once true of the WODC but new leadership decided to remove the shelters after all.