Any Experience with New Personal Tracking Device, i.e. SPOT?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with using the new SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker here in the Whites?

A quick web search for user reviews about SPOT provides links that by and large emphasize the positive aspects of this new device. And indeed, I truly believe that SPOT has many positive aspects.

But, positive aspects aside, I’m wondering if there were any beta testers who used SPOT in heavily forested and mountainous terrain like the Whites? Many of the positive user-comments that I’ve come across on the web have been from bikers, boaters, etc. whose journeys are predominately in areas where there is lots of open sky.

Just got a SPOT device and have taken it on a few treks. In general, it has done what it’s proclaimed to do. Especially on upper portions of trails, my SPOT has generally had no problem obtaining satellite lock, and it has performed flawlessly above tree line.

However, I’ve had instances where I could get conventional cell phone service, but SPOT was unable to obtain satellite lock. This was particularly true for long stretches of the lower portion of the Liberty Spring Trail. Made multiple attempts at different locations to generate “OK” messages, as well as “Help” messages, but none were generated.

1HappyHiker said:
Has anyone had experience with using the new SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker here in the Whites?
However, I’ve had instances where I could get conventional cell phone service, but SPOT was unable to obtain satellite lock. This was particularly true for long stretches of the lower portion of the Liberty Spring Trail. Made multiple attempts at different locations to generate “OK” messages, as well as “Help” messages, but none were generated.

This is NOT good news because they lead you to think that it will work when nothing else will.
I had spoken to someone at REI about the SPOT approx 4 weeks ago and they told me that the only truly reliable system is the PLB.

Can user be tracked?

I think the answer is no; I'm pretty sure

Can the user be tracked? Wondering if a hiker - kayaker - sailor can be tracked by friends / family back home?

Appears not, only can initiate location by the user. So, in the case of the lost hunter in Bear Brook State Park - had he collapsed suddenly - the SPOT would have been useless.

Still, I find this piece interesting & affordable cost

Peter

I was leaning toward buying one of these with my dividend in 2008.
I don't think it's a good buy and not as reliable as a PLB.
"SPOT" costs $150 and then the yearly cost to keep it activated is about $100- 150/year.
Over a period of 10 years you will pay approx $1200 (or more because the cost is bound to increase) to keep SPOT operational. The PLB cost is only $550 and no monthly fees.
This just does not seem like that good a deal for something that might not function properly when you need it most.
There are some good customer reviews on the REI site on both these devices.
http://www.rei.com/search?vcat=REI_SEARCH&quer y=PLB&x=0&y=0
I am really grateful that this topic came up again on forums because this statement by 1Happy Hiker about clinched it for me. :eek:
1HappyHiker said:
Made multiple attempts at different locations to generate “OK” messages, as well as “Help” messages, but none were generated.

Maddy said:
not as reliable as a PLB.
Remember, the PLB may not work everywhere either. Both SPOT and the PLB rely on being able to send a signal to satellites and may be subject to similar blackout zones.

Caveat: I have no real information on how well a PLB works under tree cover or in a ravine. We just shouldn't assume that it will always work perfectly. But like a cell phone: if it works, great; if not, then you are just carrying some dead weight.

Note:
PLB: 5W at 406 MHz
SPOT: .4W at 1600 MHz
406 MHz will penetrate tree cover better than 1600 MHz

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks for the link!

TomD said:
I think someone who posts on The Lightweight Backpacker just got one. (www.backpacking.net) You might ask over there in the Gadget forum.
=====================

Thanks for the link to Backcountry Gadgets. That was one that I’d not come across. It has some interesting discussion.

I don’t want to come across as being completely negative about SPOT. It has many good points, and it does seem to do what it’s supposed to do most of the time. However, apparently there are some locations where it’s a challenge to obtain ‘satellite lock’. So, like any gizmo, one shouldn’t get a false sense of security with SPOT.

Certainly do agree with comments about SPOT being pricey to maintain over the years.

Oh! Here's another link to a SPOT Review that's got some interesting info.

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
Note:
PLB: 5W at 406 MHz
SPOT: .4W at 1600 MHz
406 MHz will penetrate tree cover better than 1600 MHz

Doug
Thanks Doug.
The sales advisor at REI indicated to me that the COSPAS-SARSAT system is more "sophisticated" than "Spot" and it is global which allows you to signal from anywhere.
This may be what he was referring to.
He didn't really elaborate until I started asking lots of questions.

1HappyHiker said:
Interesting location! My previous GPSr, a Garmin 76CS (not X!) often lost signal in the lower parts of the trails leaving Franconia Notch. So far no such problems with my 60 CSX. That leads me to wonder what kind of a chip your device uses.

Another Recent Review of SPOT

sardog1 said:
Field report from the outdoors editor at the Anchorage Daily News:

"Talking and tracking from the wild gets easier"
----------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the above link!
Just found another very recent (like 2008!!) review of SPOT at the link below:

The Gizmo Report: the SPOT Satellite Messenger

Based on my personal experience with SPOT thus far, the reviewer’s comments are all pretty much on target, especially the comment quoted below which was particularly applicable:

“If you're hiking in areas without heavy tree coverage or deep canyons, the tracking function should work fine. If a SPOT user happens to get injured or trapped without that clear view of the sky, they'll need a hiking buddy to carry the messenger to a better location before sending the 911 call. (Or a good throwing arm; the SPOT messenger is pretty stoutly built, so that might actually work if you have no other way to save yourself.)”

I share a SPOT with 1HAPPYHIKER. I was glad to hear it was instrumental in the above rescue but I worry that reports like this will overshadow the inconsistency of its efficacy and will create a false sense of security.

We were using it yesterday on the Mt. Deception ridgeline and only one of many "OK" messages made it- clear weather, reasonable sky view- There seems to be no hard fast predictability to judge when it will perform. Bottom line is better to have it than not.

Marty