Shell for snowshoeing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skennenden

Reaction score
I've had such good luck with suggestions on this site, that now I have one more question. Does anyone have a favorite outer layer for snowshoeing? I wear the usuall layers and an EMS gortex shell. Problem seems to be that I am always too warm. I've tried lighter under layers, but the problem seems to be the gortex. It gets really wet. What are some of your favorite shells and fabrics?

Unless there is snow falling (whether from the sky or the trees) I am often in just a fleece zip-neck top and a fleece vest. Hat on or off, gloves on or off, and zip up or down for the change in body temp. If it's to chilly for just that I add a softshell jacket. I only wear the hooded rain shell if there is precip falling (i.e. snow, rain, or dumps from the trees is steady).

Snowshoeing

Like the previous responses to your question I use a light/midweith Capilene zip-T over a polypro t-shirt. The one addition is a vest that is wind-blocking on the front and non-wind blocking on the back. I have used this for years and it is a great combination. Too Hot, un-zip the vest and the T. Too cold, zip it up and put on a shell.

The vest is from Patagonia. I have years of use from it but I don't think they make them any more.

Thanks. The one item I don't have is a vest. Looks like I should get one. I think the gortex jacket should mostly stay in my pack.

The last couple of times I've needed the jacket, snow covered trees, I've just used the jacket & a long sleeve poly running shirt. Other than that's fleece & maybe a wind-bloc vest.

Sounds good. I've been reading about soft shell jackets and really wonder if I should get one. I hate to spend that much when I already have a good gortex jacket. Today I wore layers and just an anorak. It was much better, but the anorak doesn't really breath either. Now I have to decide if a vest would be better than the soft shell jacket. Maybe just a soft shell vest. Do most of you wear fleece vests, soft shell or what? I'm sure I need something to protect from the wind. I've never worn a vest. I just don't want to make another purchasing decision that I later regret. I really appreciate the advice.

Beyond

I'm a pretty big fan of beyondclothing.com. I've worn their Schoeller WB-400 based jacket (Cold Fusion X Jacket) for several winters. It has wind and water resistance comparable to a hard shell but breathes better and I find it drier and more comfortable climbing up than Gore-Tex. I've worn this on the Presidentials in winter, on backcountry ski trips in the Canadian Rockies and on some big peaks in Alaska and it's held up great. It was recently injured in a very thick bushwack up Nubble Peak; however ;-)

I usually wear mid-weight Capline under the jacket. For really cold and windy or heavy rain I also carry a light hard shell (like Marmot Pre-Cip or Gore-Tex Pac Lite) to layer over the softshell. The softshell is a decent insulator and it's great to just put on an outside layer instead of having to take the hard shell off and put an insulating layer under like I used to do before I had the softshell.

I also really like my Patagonia Guide Pants (softshell) although I would probably buy the Super Guide pants if I was going to buy them again. I love the softshell fabric on them and Patagonia makes a jacket with that fabric (Super Guide Jacket) but it doesn't have pit zips which are critical for me.

A little hijacking here :)
Do soft shell pants shed snow very well when snowshoeing? I suppose gaiters could be worn... Does kneeling in the snow to adjust gear etc cause and wetness? I'm like Linus with my gore pants :D

Skennenden said:
Sounds good. I've been reading about soft shell jackets and really wonder if I should get one. I hate to spend that much when I already have a good gortex jacket. Today I wore layers and just an anorak. It was much better, but the anorak doesn't really breath either. Now I have to decide if a vest would be better than the soft shell jacket. Maybe just a soft shell vest. Do most of you wear fleece vests, soft shell or what? I'm sure I need something to protect from the wind. I've never worn a vest. I just don't want to make another purchasing decision that I later regret. I really appreciate the advice.
Layers that work for some will not work for others. Some are very hot hiking and others have a hard time getting warm enough. Only you know what kind of heat you generate. But any good layers that wick any moisture generated away is important. Too many layers make the wicking process more difficult though. Temps and wind play into the game also. You don’t say what you are wearing for layers before adding a jacket. And there are a variety of softshells and prices. I tried several before finding one that is perfect for me (and a very low price too). I personally have no interest in a softshell vest as my fleece vest works for me just fine.

What I wear on any given day is dependant on the weather and conditions for that day and the distance I plan to travel. Like footwear, my ‘outfit’ changes. How often one is out may affect what they spend money on.
focusonbalance said:
A little hijacking here :)
Do soft shell pants shed snow very well when snowshoeing? I suppose gaiters could be worn... Does kneeling in the snow to adjust gear etc cause and wetness? I'm like Linus with my gore pants :D
I have been wearing a softshell pant this year and am very pleased (Schoeller WB-400 material). I have yet to see any wetness penetrate (whether from the snowshoe throwing it up my backside, sitting in snow, or stepping in streams :eek: ).

Snowboarding in Soft Shell Pants

Ideally I'm backcountry snowboarding in my soft shell pants :D Hopefully powder is billowing all around me (doesn't happen often in New England). Every transition from ascent (usually via snowshoes) to descent requires wallowing in the snow (or at least sitting on my pack). I've never had problems with wet pants, even in wet spring conditions.

I do carry gaiters but my Patagonia pants have a built in elastic sleeve that keeps pretty tight to my snowboard boots. I also have a WB-400 pair of pants from Beyond but I find them a little too hot for me in most winter conditions.

Another recent soft-shell convert here. Dec 15th I was in the Whites in 1 to 5 degree temps snowshoeing in this Mammut Laser Jacket over this O.R. Sequence tee. We kept moving all day but I was never even chilly.

My Mammut Champ pant seems to dump moisture fast enough so that if I did wallow for a bit and get wet, I'm dry again soon enough.

This soft shell upgrade wasn't cheap, though. I'd experiment with a good technical tee, like the Sequence and some Capilene or fleece first, unless you have some compelling reason to spend 3 or 400 bucks.

How about a conch:

250px-Conch_shell_2.jpg

:)

I think snowshoes would work better but perhaps a conch would give you better view of the trail ahead..

Actually, I use softshell jackets when rain isn't in the forecast and it's cold enough. My softshell jacket isn't superlight but it's sheds snow good enough and breaths better than goretex. I also use a pair of Shoeller pants (sp?) from Marmot, good buttsliding without being too slippery.

Jay

Well, I just went to EMS and bought a windstopper vest and a light soft shell jacket. I figure that should cover almost anything that doesn't require gortex. Along with techwick and a fleece layer, I should be all set. Thanks for all of your advice.

Chip said:
Another recent soft-shell convert here. Dec 15th I was in the Whites in 1 to 5 degree temps snowshoeing in this Mammut Laser Jacket over this.
OMG yes! I was with Chip on this one. Chip sent a PM to me a month back with the following link http://www.climbhighoutlet.com. Clearance prices (50%+ off) on Mammut gear. I was so much more comfortable with the Mammut Laser jacket with its Schoeller type fabric than I had been just a month before in another type of soft shell jacket of similar design in similar conditions.

outer layer

i have the same problem with my outer layer being too warm & actually getting damp inside. i find my favorite for snowshoeing/hiking is a windstopper fleece. that way you get the best of both worlds; some good wind blockage but way more breathable and the warmth (but not too warm) of the fleece. i always carry my super warm golite jacket no matter what. it packs down so small & it's light & i have never regretted taking it. if we decide to do a longer trail or if we end up coming out at night, is great to have this with as it keeps me super warm. i find all these gortex / waterproof type shells mostly overkill. great if it's raining but otherwise i find they mostly end up sitting in my closet. i'll attach my lightest weight one on the outside of my pack if there's a chance of drizzle, sleet or rain but otherwise i go with the fleece. i would caution this however, always make sure you have something for your head! alot of fleece jackets don't have hoods.

I can go months without buying new gear, now suddenly I'm loading up, taking advantage of the sales. Besides the windstopper vest and light soft shell, I just ordered a polartec wind pro fleece jacket and a hooded heavy techwick pullover from EMS. I like EMS because if I don't like the fit, I have a store close enough to make the exchanges. I'm having fun trying everything out too. I'll still carry my gortex in my pack, but use it much less.
Thanks for all of the advice, it has really helped with my decisions.