Retiring my old hard shell?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper

Reaction score
Looking for your experienced based recommendations on a new hard shell. My old shell is wearing thin at the shoulders and it is time for a new one.

The use and features I am looking for are:

Winter above tree-line use.

Multi-day backpacking in spring and fall.

Attached large hood.

I prefer a parka length, not a jacket. Say 32" neck to hem.

Waterproof/Breathable

Tough material and construction. Something that will last years. ( I am cheap but preferr demonstrated quality over price anytime.)

Interior water bottle pockets would be nice.

My search of the site was unsuccessful. I appologize in advance if I missed an earlier posting on this subject.

Thanks for your input. Comments on what not to purchase are also welcome.

If you were truly frugal, you'd reinforce the shoulders of your existing shell with duct tape.

I've had the same hardshell for many years with no wear at the shoulders; I suspect your backpack is sliding around unnecessarily. Try adjusting the straps, or replace the backpack instead of the shell.

Certain manufacturers (e.g., Patagonia) offer a "lifetime warranty", which supposedly allows free replacement of the jacket if it ever has any problems. In practice what you will usually find is that the jacket you bought has been discontinued and replaced with a more expensive model, on which you can get a discount in the amount you paid for your old jacket. For minor repairs they will sometimes pay your tailoring costs instead.

sardog1 said:
DougPaul has been kind enough to keep me posted about subsequent finds he's made. Unfortunately, I haven't stored those messages. He will probably pop up here soon.
Who me?

IMO, shells have gotten too short. The older mid-thigh length was better than the short stuff currently in vogue.

The Mountain Hardwear Exposure II Parka is a bit on the weighty side (2lb 2oz), but is a good heavy duty construction and includes a powder skirt: http://www.rei.com/product/687096. I have one--a bit heavy for general hiking, but great for lift-served skiing and bushwacking.

Beans also has a parka-length Gore-Tex shell (Stowaway Rainwear Parka): http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...809&cat4=502961&shop_method=pp&feat=502809-tn. Haven't actually seen one, but it looks ok from the catalog.

Doug

Last edited:
I love my Mt Hardware Trifecta. It does have a removable lightweight quilted liner which I removed because I like to do my own layering. It's long, has a wonderful hood, two pockets inside, one with zipper and one mesh. It also has three pockets on the outside.
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1&prod=164&cat=36&viewAll=False
I have another MH jacket but I like this better because it is longer.

I have the MH Exposure 2 parka and use it as my main shell during the winter. I love it, although it is a bit heavy. The reason I bought it was because I'm on the tall side (6'4") and it was the only, I repeat only, jacket I could find that was long enough. It seems like with most tops, especially North Face, Columbia and EMS have gotten way too short.
I also carry a lightweight shell for since the exposure parka can be on the hot side, and a light weight shell is great for walking through snow covered branches.
Other than the weight, I have had no problems with this jacket. It has many useful features, such as a large hood, interior water bottle pocket and a snow skirt. The sizes run big with long sleeves, so try it on before you buy it.

Last time I was at Dicks sporting goods, they had the jacket on sale. Might be worth checking out if there is one near by.

Thanks for the ideas.

Thanks for the ideas. I am going to take a look at the Arcteryx Theta SV. I understand the the material and construction are excellant. Also, it appears to be fairly long: 'over the hips'. :)

Take a look at the MH Hooded Synchro jacket. Light, soft, breathable, huge pit zips, inside water bottle pockets, four outside pockets and fairly lightweight. Good, roomy hood, also.
My favorite garment right now.

EVent by Wild Things to the Rescue

Im really parital to things that work like they are supposed to.

I was really turned off for years by the big Goretex lie .

The most breathable fabric that still is waterproof is EVent.Hands down

The 10th Mountain Division uses the stuff and those guys are
to mountains what the Pats are to football.

Having been with them at night up in Smugglers Notch 2 years ago prior to their deployment to Afganistan I went right to North Conway from Stowe and purchased a Wild Things Hard shell.
Its rugged,it breaths like a mother in labor and it sheds water like a ducks back.
They will custom make one for you if your not average build

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/prod_hardshl.php

Last edited:
I am much more into cheap these days, particularly since I am not convinced that any hardshell is really breathable enough for backpacking. I have a precip that I carry but almost never wear. I would like to go lighter than that if I could, since weight is so important for a shell you have to carry much of the time. Steepandcheap has been running a lot of great deals lately, including on shells, so you may want to keep an eye on there. Gearx in Burlington seems to have a lot of interesting choices if you can get in there or look online.

I have never used it, but Event may be worth considering, based on reviews of how it performs. Rab makes hardshells in Event too, one is available at prolightgear. Not sure if anyone else is carrying RAB in the US:

http://www.prolitegear.com/rab_latok_alpine_jacket.html

It's always good to know there are alternative suppliers.
But take it from me the EVent breaths exponentially etter than Goretex and is waterproof . Like we said Goretex is only marginally as effctive as they want us to believe. EVent is the real deal

They have a display at the store in North Conway that will prove the point in spades. EVent side by side with Goretex .
2 glass cylinders filled with water

Half way up each 2 inch wide cylinder is a tight membrane . One cylnder has EVent the other has Goretex.

At the bottom of each glass tube is a little rubber hand sqeezable bulb (like an nose aspirator) to pump air under each memebrane.

When you see the results you wont be surprised if youve been a Goretex user
Its another example of marketing selling exagerated claims to the masses.

DougPaul said:
IMO, shells have gotten too short. The older mid-thigh length was better than the short stuff currently in vogue.
I speculate that's because half the shells are sold as fashion statements and many practical considerations hikers look for are overlooked.

After considerable searching I found a nice shell for my wife who was looking for a 3/4 length. Made by ISIS which, unfortunately, only makes women's clothing but I'm very impressed by the quality and practicality of many of their products.

Wish I could say the same for my own search. I'm hoping to replace a hopelessly water transferable (in the wrong direction) North Face Mountain Light which has served me well for some 15 years but have had no luck finding the right shell ... perhaps I'll replace it in kind and continue to use my denali fleece jacket in combination. My challenge has been finding a suitable fit. I've concluded that much of this stuff is made at the same sweatshop in China with different logos sewed on. Find a shell made elsewhere and there are good odds it may have the features and fit you seek.