Thread: Allen or Dix and Hough this thursday

Allen or Dix and Hough this thursday

Looking for someone to join me on this little quest to get another W peak or two or four. I would even consider going over to South and East Dix for a traverse if someone wanted in to spot a car.

I would start hiking around 6am, no later, for either hike.

Anyone off work on thursday or want to play hooky.
    "Woods are not like other spaces.Their trees surround you, loom over you, press in from all sides.Woods choke off views and leave you muddled and without bearings.They make you feel small a confused and vulnerable.Stand in a desert or prairie and you know you are in a big place.Stand in a woods and you only sense it.They are a vast, featureless nowhere.And they are alive."Bill Bryson"

Cheers
    Spence

Man Spence, Thursday is going to still be above freezing so your talking about some serious slush trudging. I did Allen on Sunday and even with the packed trail to follow my shoes would pick up huge amounts of snow with each step, slowed me a lot. Especially when my snowshoes broke before the last 3 miles. I much rather have broke trail with Inge and Pin on Sat. Real serious but slides though, I'm talking at least 500 feet of vertical, 200 in one shot. You make it the following Thursday I'm in where ever. I'll break you point every now and then. I thought I could go in and catch you guys Saturday but I got caught up with stuff and couldn't start before 11 so I went to the Catskills. Started Allen at 10:05am on Sunday by the way.
    Cory D
    “I don’t know if momma was right or if it’s Lieutenant Dan. I don’t know if we each have a destiny… or if we're all floating around accidental like.. on a breeze. But, I think… maybe it’s both… maybe both are happening at the same time.” –Forrest Gump.

Exactly why we are going to Cascade and Porter on Thursday!

I know, I know, I know-this really sucks. But Cascade and Porter does me no good.

I was also thinking Seymour, as the road should be clear. I also need Colvin and Blake. I could canoe over the Upper Lake
    "Woods are not like other spaces.Their trees surround you, loom over you, press in from all sides.Woods choke off views and leave you muddled and without bearings.They make you feel small a confused and vulnerable.Stand in a desert or prairie and you know you are in a big place.Stand in a woods and you only sense it.They are a vast, featureless nowhere.And they are alive."Bill Bryson"

Cheers
    Spence

Actually Colvin and Blake was our original plan for the day but it's not going to be cold enough Wednesday night. Today they were a handfull of cars at
    St. Huberts trailhead!

Your idea about taking advantage of the Corey's Road and snagging Seymour is a good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by peak_bgr
    I know, I know, I know-this really sucks. But Cascade and Porter does me no good.

I was also thinking Seymour, as the road should be clear. I also need Colvin and Blake. I could canoe over the Upper Lake
    I was totally under the impression that Haystack, Basin and Saddleback finished the Winter Forty Six for you? Guess not.

If I had a choice of the peaks you mentioned, I would head straight to Seymour, as long as the gate was still opened. I bet it is totally drivable to the trailhead but it would be a heck of a slog to get to the top of Seymour. Ugh! Ugh! But it also would be a heck of a slog to do the extra nine miles on top of the hike itself. Choices, Choices, Choices. Go for Seymour.
    Last edited by Skyclimber; 01-08-2008 at 10:26 PM.
    "It is easier to become a Forty Sixer than to be one. The art of the being is to keep one's sense of wonder after the excitement of the game is over."

Paul Jamieson Class of '58

Allen or Dix

I need Allen and Gray as well for the W 46. Anyone going up this Saturday? That is the only day I can make this weekend.

LavaFalls

Quote Originally Posted by LavaFalls
    I need Allen and Gray as well for the W 46. Anyone going up this Saturday? That is the only day I can make this weekend.

LavaFalls
    Allen and especially Gray, those would be a Nightmare in these kind of conditions! These are two peaks I would wait until the trails harden up a bit.

Gray has plenty of man eating traps without soft snow, can't imagine after all this rain!

Heck this sounds like a weekend to stay home and relax OR climb Cascade/Porter or better yet, Mt. Jo.
    Last edited by Skyclimber; 01-09-2008 at 07:16 AM.
    "It is easier to become a Forty Sixer than to be one. The art of the being is to keep one's sense of wonder after the excitement of the game is over."

Paul Jamieson Class of '58

Quote Originally Posted by Skyclimber
    I was totally under the impression that Haystack, Basin and Saddleback finished the Winter Forty Six for you? Guess not.

If I had a choice of the peaks you mentioned, I would head straight to Seymour, as long as the gate was still opened. I bet it is totally drivable to the trailhead but it would be a heck of a slog to get to the top of Seymour. Ugh! Ugh! But it also would be a heck of a slog to do the extra nine miles on top of the hike itself. Choices, Choices, Choices. Go for Seymour.
    I wish they were. It was kind os an OOPS on Adams part. I was just playing along. I never did get waited on hand a foot however.

Cheers
    Spence

I'm going to Allen on Feb. 9th if that works for you. I'm trying to muster up a few individuals so we can do this as a group effort.

February 9th

Bridgeman: If I don't have Allen by the 9th, I want to join your trip.

Lavafalls

Thumbs up

Sweet!

Keep me posted.

Quote Originally Posted by peak_bgr
    I wish they were. It was kind os an OOPS on Adams part. I was just playing along. I never did get waited on hand a foot however.
    My bad

So did you hike anything this week or did the weather keep you at bay? Sure you got waited on. When your group came in from doing those monster peaks we had warm water and your AWESOME wife made that AWESOME chicken dip that I saw you eating right up
    "undefined Wilderness areas are first of all a series of sanctuaries for the primitive arts of wilderness travel, especially canoeing and packing.”
    -Aldo Leopold

Hiking Pictures

More Hiking Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by 1ADAM12
    My bad

So did you hike anything this week or did the weather keep you at bay? Sure you got waited on. When your group came in from doing those monster peaks we had warm water and your AWESOME wife made that AWESOME chicken dip that I saw you eating right up
    Oh but I think he was talking more on the line, of getting the toe jams rubbed out, along with the back massages to go along with it. Maybe next time.

Ya "Where did you go yesterday?"