missing hiker - body found

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how awful

that poor young woman and her family. We all take risks hiking at all, and certainly hiking alone, but the "punishment" shouldn't be to be murdered.

I have to say that I never think twice about hiking alone, and love the solitude and quiet, but this kind of story unnerves me. When I think about what her last moments must have been like, and now what agonies her friends and family must be going through....how awful....

Well, don't let it unnerve you. If I were this young woman and had suffered her fate, I would want people to learn from it, but not be cowed by it. I'm sure she wouldn't want people in general, and women in particular, to decide then not to go, but rather to be some "right" kind of vigilant (whatever that actually is). Of course, I'm projecting, knowing absolutely nothing about this particular person.

On that personal note, I grieve for her and her family: no one should suffer this fate. It's horrible and a stain on the species that this happens ever, let alone with some frequency.

But the answer is not to hide in our rooms.

Very sad news indeed.

The one very small consolation is that the person who is responsible is already behind bars.

May her family find peace somehow...

I hope he was responsible for the other deaths they're trying to link him to. I would much rather think there was just one person out there doing this, and he's now caught, then numerous people who may still be out there.

My sympathies to her family and friends. This is a sad week.

As a female who regularly solo hikes, and a mother whose youngest is her age, this cuts through the heart deep. I long for the day when ‘the wicked will be no more’.

Just back from a walk in the wood with my tiny little Geneva. I though about this beautiful young woman, and came up with two conclusions for myself.

This will not make me frigthened or aprehensive about hiking alone, or with my dog, it makes me very angry instead. Angry that random acts of violence can be felt so far and wide. Angry that in todays modern world this senseless violence still happens.

The other thought was that this is one act of random violence, and in this community of hikers how many times do we experience the twin to this, the random act of kindness. Perhaps Meredith was thinking she was being kind to an older man down on his luck by hiking with him a ways. How many of us have been the recipient of the random act of kindness in the woods? I have myself on many occasions. And I often try to be the bearer of kindness as well.

It is always sad when a young person passes, sader still to be in such a senseless and selfish way.

May her family find the peace and strength they will need.

chinooktrail said:
Perhaps Meredith was thinking she was being kind to an older man down on his luck by hiking with him a ways. How many of us have been the recipient of the random act of kindness in the woods? I have myself on many occasions. And I often try to be the bearer of kindness as well.

Very good point. That type kindness which many hikers generally show for each other is one more thing that makes hiking special. It's also what makes this story even more tragic since that is very likely what she was trying to do.

This is sad news and a sad day for the entire hiking community. Prayers for her family and friends.

The other sad part about this is that it will make acts of genuine kindness between strangers become questioned. We all share the loss of this stranger today but also a loss of the innocence of being able to take that walk in the woods alone enjoing solitude without danger on our mind. The good thing is time will pass and it will be less on the forefront but still enough kept to excercise necessary caution. Much the same as when you first start hiking in deep alone you tend to turn back earlier. Later you keep most of this bottled up and save just enough to keep you using safe judgement on the trail. Most loss does come with learning but also a greater appreciation for what we have and enjoy. I'm for going back out in the woods and saying a prayer for those past as soon as possible and show that vigilance will overturn terror now and always!

The loss of such a beautiful young person in the mountains, a place we so love and cherish so much, touches us all......... no matter what the circumstances. My deepest condolences to the young woman's family.

A very tragic outcome. My condolences go out to her family and friends.

As an AT hiker, I would like to think that no harm could come to anyone when out on the trail, but the horrors of todays world seem to find their way to places we feel the safest. I still believe that our time spent in the wilderness is by far a safer place than going to your local grocery store for a gallon of milk. You need to trust your instincts when you feel uneasy in any situation. A lot of good suggestions made, but I hope we don't have to resort to packing any kind of weapons when we go into the woods to get away from it all.

May we all say a prayer for Meredith and her family.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about Meredith since New Year's day. She is on my mind almost constantly, especially during my daily walks with my dog. I just feel like I want to do something. I read that her family said anyone wishing to remember Meredith, could donate to their local animal shelters in her memory.
It's just such a sad sad,horrible thing. Now it's beginning to look like other peope have been his victims as well.

Skennenden said:
I haven't been able to stop thinking about Meredith since New Year's day. She is on my mind almost constantly, especially during my daily walks with my dog. I just feel like I want to do something. I read that her family said anyone wishing to remember Meredith, could donate to their local animal shelters in her memory.
It's just such a sad sad,horrible thing. Now it's beginning to look like other peope have been his victims as well.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I have felt the same and I extend my deepest sympathy to her parents, family, and friends.
I have wanted so desperately to do something for her loved ones and giving to an animal shelter is a wonderful idea.
Maybe I will contribute to another of the "48" that Tom and Atticus are hiking for Angell.
I suspect that this is a very sad day for many and one not soon to be forgotten.
We have really lost "one of our own" in a most horrific way.
Rest in peace Meredith. You are in our hearts and prayers.

This story just turns my stomach and it's only getting worse. I can't believe she was alive for three days before being murdered. How horrible for her and her family. :(

At they very least Hilton was apprehended before he could kill again (it sounds highly likely he's responsible for the NC murders). Hats off to all of those involved in his apprehension -- from the witnesses that tipped off police he was seen with her on the trail, spotting him at the convenience store, recovering crucial evidence, catching him before he could clean his van, etc.

I am with you all too. I just can't shake this angry/sad feeling.

I hiked to Blood Mountain (the highest peak on the Georgia AT, a very popular, relatively short hike with spectacular views) in May 2006 with my step-mother. In that area, the AT runs east-west, and is crossed by US 19, 2.4 miles east of the summit. However, if you are dayhiking, there is no parking at Neels Gap where the AT crosses the highway. There are some side trails to the mountain with TH parking at Byron Reece Memorial (0.5 mile north of Neels Gap on US 19), and Vogel State Park (about 3 mi north of Neels Gap on US 19). US 19 is a well maintained highway with a good deal of traffic. This area is only about 60 miles north of Atlanta. The hike to Blood Mt is relatively easy (from where we started it was about 4.8 mi RT with about 1400 foot ascent.) Its one of the most popular hikes in that area, probably more so than nearby Springer Mountain (southern terminus of AT) because of the easy access by highway and the great views. Its a gradual, well maintained trail that attracts both people in sneakers toting nothing more than a water bottle and more experienced hikers.

Having some knowledge of the area, made this all the more creepy and frightening. I wouldn't think twice about hiking this mountain by myself...its like a walk in the park compared with most of the Adk hikes I've done.

Also, this blows my theory that "mass murderers aren't likely to go to the trouble of hiking miles into the woods to find their victims." I guess there is at least one who did.

I will admit that this terrible tragedy probably won't change the way I hike, other than being a bit more vigilant of the other people on the trail. I understand that two of his possible previous victims were a man and woman hiking togther. Meredith had a dog with her. So hiking with a dog or a partner is obviously not enough to protect you from a monster. The only thing that gives me some reassurance about this horrible event is that it happens so infrequently.

I was just reading 11.Alive.com and donations to the Atlanta Humane Society have surpassed $2300, and donations to Longmont Humane society have surpassed $11,000. They both have memorials for Meredith. People can donate and leave messages also.

Skennenden said:
I was just reading 11.Alive.com and donations to the Atlanta Humane Society have surpassed $2300, and donations to Longmont Humane society have surpassed $11,000. They both have memorials for Meredith. People can donate and leave messages also.

Thank you so much for sharing this information.
There is a wonderful article here http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=109371
which discusses the fear that so many of us are feeling as a result of this horrific crime. It appears we are not alone and I suspect that time and our commitment to continue hiking will help us to deal with these feelings that are so overwhelming and can even paralyze us if we allow them to.
I think perhaps one very important thing is to allow ourselves to feel the pain and fear, talk/write about it, because if we bury it or beat ourselves up for being "too paranoid", it will never resolve and at some point, perhaps sooner than later, it will impede our ability to go out there and enjoy the trails we love so much.

Last edited: