Catskills - Twin & Indian Head - Sunday, 12/30

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you guys park at Prediger Road and walk over to the Pecoy Notch TH? Is the road to the Pecoy Notch TH/Roaring Brook TH plowed out?

Nice pictures! :) I was hoping to snowshoe those peaks later in the month, but I expect the iciness up there will only increase with the warm weather forecast for next week.

mtn.goat said:
Did you guys park at Prediger Road and walk over to the Pecoy Notch TH? Is the road to the Pecoy Notch TH/Roaring Brook TH plowed out?

I was a participant on this hike. I'll try to explain what we did.... We did a car spot. We left a few cars at the Kaaterskill High Peak PA and drove the other cars to the PA for Dale Lane (see NYNJ Trail Conference Map 41). All in all, Dale Lane was a little icy after the seasonal sign, but it was drivable with front wheel drive as of last w/e (12/30).... I believe people live on Prediger, and if so, it would be passable. Possibly someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Nice pictures! I was hoping to snowshoe those peaks later in the month, but I expect the iciness up there will only increase with the warm weather forecast for next week.

It was pretty easy going on 12/30... with just 10 point crampons. The snow was solid and only the occasional shallow post hole.... But it'll probably be a whole new show during the impending warmup..

ps to askus3 - Thanks for posting and thanks again for the photos!

Hikehike: Thank you for responding to Mtn. Goat's question (Post #4) as it explained the route and car shuttle far better than I could have described it.

Only addition I want to add to what you posted is that Dale Lane is not plowed or passable beyond (west of) the Pecoy Notch Trailhead. Also, with caution I was the only one that completed the hike without crampons using stabilicers as my only traction aid. There were two spots that were quite icy thus I still would have recommended the 10 point crampons. See photos 664-666 (east ascent on Twin) & 685-686 (east descent of Indian Head). If you do a "T" type hike using the Jimmy Dolan Trail from Prediger Road, crampons might not be necessary.