1-5-08 Holts Ledge and Ice Fishing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
For the first time since October 28, I was able to get out and take a hike!! Mattl and I set off for a short hike (baby steps...I've been sick for weeks) up Holts Ledge from the Dartmouth Skiway. The hike itself was a little difficult because I was out of breath and coughing a little too much, but I think I'll be ok in a couple weeks.

The biggest reason why I haven't been out is because I take new medication that makes me very sensitive to cold and it makes my skin burn/tingle, so it has been extraordinarily difficult just getting around, let alone taking a hike in the cold. Thankfully, the side effects have decreased, so I decided to give it a go today. I still paid for it at the end because my hands and face burned a bit, but it was worth it. Enough of my petty problems, onto the hike. :)

There was a good amount of snow on the ground from top to bottom, and it slowly increased as we climbed.

file.jpg

Clouds rapidly increased today so temperatures didn't warm up that much. It was probably in the mid 20s. I didn't want to go on a very cold day, so this was perfect. It was much too cold earlier this week.

I decided to take my time, so Matt and I definitely had our share of fun with the camera.

Try not to look up my nostrils
file.jpg

Mattl striking a pose? :rolleyes:
file.jpg

Ok, enough of that garbage. ;)

We continued to climb and made it to the top in over an hour....definitely didn't set any speed records today. Lots of tracks out there, including deer, moose, and these set of bobcat tracks along the ledges.

file.jpg

Another one
file.jpg

Continued in a minute

Continued

Anyways, the views from the top were quite nice, despite the high clouds moving in.

Goose Pond
file.jpg

file.jpg

Smarts and Cube
file.jpg

Mattl admiring the view
file.jpg

We motored down in about 30 min, and were greeted to a nice light snow shower. I really missed taking a hike! On the way back, Matt decided to take a quick jaunt to the CT River, and then Goose Pond for a little ice fishing. He didn't have very much luck at the CT river, but then caught a couple white perch at Goose.

CT River
file.jpg

Goose Pond
file.jpg

Dinner
file.jpg

Lots of pictures....I cut them down from 180....to 137... :) Its been awhile, so I needed to take some pictures.

http://grouseking.phanfare.com/album/541548#imageID=35317828

grouseking

Last edited:
Nice report and nice pictures.

When I sectioned the AT in 2002, we couldn't go out to the point at Holt's ledge since Peregrines were nesting there. Nice pictures from there which I had missed.

It's good you are getting back to hiking. Hope you are 100% soon.

nice report. glad you could get out again!
I was skiing ( first time in 15 years!) up there on the Winslow side looking at those ledges. I saw your picture and thought the same thing as PapaBear.
I hope your perch were good for dinner.

Last edited:
Jason Berard said:
nice report. glad you could get out again!
I was skiing ( first time in 15 years!) up there on the Winslow side looking at those ledges. I saw your picture and thought the same thing as PapaBear.
I hope your perch were good for dinner.

Well I didn't eat the perch (they were Matt's) but that's ok. It was good to get out, and I hope to do something a little more ambitious next week, perhaps Mt Cube, or something similar in height or length. I'd like to completely kick this cold first, and it would be nice if my skin didn't burn so much...

Stupid medication. :mad: