Allen or Dix and Hough this thursday

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peak_bgr

Reaction score
Looking for someone to join me on this little quest to get another W peak or two or four. I would even consider going over to South and East Dix for a traverse if someone wanted in to spot a car.

I would start hiking around 6am, no later, for either hike.

Anyone off work on thursday or want to play hooky.

Man Spence, Thursday is going to still be above freezing so your talking about some serious slush trudging. I did Allen on Sunday and even with the packed trail to follow my shoes would pick up huge amounts of snow with each step, slowed me a lot. Especially when my snowshoes broke before the last 3 miles. :mad: I much rather have broke trail with Inge and Pin on Sat. Real serious but slides though, I'm talking at least 500 feet of vertical, 200 in one shot. You make it the following Thursday I'm in where ever. I'll break you point every now and then. ;) I thought I could go in and catch you guys Saturday but I got caught up with stuff and couldn't start before 11 so I went to the Catskills. Started Allen at 10:05am on Sunday by the way. :)

I know, I know, I know-this really sucks. But Cascade and Porter does me no good.

I was also thinking Seymour, as the road should be clear. I also need Colvin and Blake. I could canoe over the Upper Lake :D

Actually Colvin and Blake was our original plan for the day but it's not going to be cold enough Wednesday night. Today they were a handfull of cars at
St. Huberts trailhead!

peak_bgr said:
I know, I know, I know-this really sucks. But Cascade and Porter does me no good.

I was also thinking Seymour, as the road should be clear. I also need Colvin and Blake. I could canoe over the Upper Lake :D

I was totally under the impression that Haystack, Basin and Saddleback finished the Winter Forty Six for you? Guess not.

If I had a choice of the peaks you mentioned, I would head straight to Seymour, as long as the gate was still opened. I bet it is totally drivable to the trailhead but it would be a heck of a slog to get to the top of Seymour. Ugh! Ugh! :eek: But it also would be a heck of a slog to do the extra nine miles on top of the hike itself. :eek: Choices, Choices, Choices. Go for Seymour. :D

Last edited:
Allen or Dix

I need Allen and Gray as well for the W 46. Anyone going up this Saturday? That is the only day I can make this weekend.

LavaFalls

LavaFalls said:
I need Allen and Gray as well for the W 46. Anyone going up this Saturday? That is the only day I can make this weekend.

LavaFalls

Allen and especially Gray, those would be a Nightmare in these kind of conditions! These are two peaks I would wait until the trails harden up a bit.

Gray has plenty of man eating traps without soft snow, can't imagine after all this rain!

Heck this sounds like a weekend to stay home and relax OR climb Cascade/Porter or better yet, Mt. Jo. :)

Last edited:
Skyclimber said:
I was totally under the impression that Haystack, Basin and Saddleback finished the Winter Forty Six for you? Guess not.

If I had a choice of the peaks you mentioned, I would head straight to Seymour, as long as the gate was still opened. I bet it is totally drivable to the trailhead but it would be a heck of a slog to get to the top of Seymour. Ugh! Ugh! :eek: But it also would be a heck of a slog to do the extra nine miles on top of the hike itself. :eek: Choices, Choices, Choices. Go for Seymour. :D

I wish they were. It was kind os an OOPS on Adams part. I was just playing along. I never did get waited on hand a foot however.

I'm going to Allen on Feb. 9th if that works for you. I'm trying to muster up a few individuals so we can do this as a group effort.

February 9th

Bridgeman: If I don't have Allen by the 9th, I want to join your trip.

Lavafalls

peak_bgr said:
I wish they were. It was kind os an OOPS on Adams part. I was just playing along. I never did get waited on hand a foot however.

My bad :D

So did you hike anything this week or did the weather keep you at bay? Sure you got waited on. When your group came in from doing those monster peaks we had warm water and your AWESOME wife made that AWESOME chicken dip that I saw you eating right up :D

1ADAM12 said:
My bad :D

So did you hike anything this week or did the weather keep you at bay? Sure you got waited on. When your group came in from doing those monster peaks we had warm water and your AWESOME wife made that AWESOME chicken dip that I saw you eating right up :D

Oh but I think he was talking more on the line, of getting the toe jams rubbed out, along with the back massages to go along with it. Maybe next time. :rolleyes:

Ya "Where did you go yesterday?"