Waumbek via Starr King Trail 1-08-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfox

Reaction score
Trail Conditions: Quite a variety today..mostly well packed up to the spring..the packed section got narrower and even with snowshoes there was some postholing through granular snow on the edges of the trail to Starr King. Ridge from Starr King to Waumbek badly postholed by barebooters. A complicated blowdown below Starr King has paths around it..small step over one on climb to Waumbek a little dicey due to soft snow there. Lots of water crossing the trail down below but nothing significant

Special Equipment: snowshoes , shorts, a little sunscreen, sunglasses :

Comments: Nice climb up to Starr King..a little mushy in spots but mostly good. Postholing really started across the ridge where the trail was in tough shape..I did my best but work needs to be done..climb up the Waumbek cone was fine..In the clouds there but they lifted as I passed a couple of folks up by the fireplace ..Both hikers had snowshoes so hopefully trail through the col packed in a bit...Nice views from Starr King at that point...51 degrees..Quite a few well used animal "herd" paths down below