Marcy on skis 27 Marck

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacko

Reaction score
Icy from the lodge- had a nasty slide so put on crampons. The rest of the way had decent enough snow dissapearing fast. Stream crossings where a little hairy in places. The fog and drizzle disapeared like magic at 5,000 feet to blue sky and freezing wind. The ride down was great. Suzanne made easywork on her backcountry skis but my skinies were too thin for the rotten snow resulting in a broken pole and several humiliating crashes. After 1,000 feet of this gave up and used snow shoes. Suzanne swooshed the rest.
Time to buy some backcountry skis - more money for gear again!
Not much longer left on the ski descent folks - a few rocks are ready to pop out.

Great day out as always

I've always admired those who have mastered the techniques and are able to ski way up on the mountain trails, perhaps with skins. I have used the (wide and short) Bushwhacker skis (waxless) with Berwin (basket) bindings at mostly lower trail elevations for many of my winter mountain pursuits in past years. They manuever more easily and you're able to strap in your regular climbing boots (no change required). They work great when you're pulling a loaded gear sled also.