The passing of a member of our hiking family.................

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavs00

Reaction score
As troubling as it is for me, I am gong to tell you the story of a sad passing of a member of "our" virtual family. It is the story of an incredible young man that had a incredible zest for life and quite possibly lived more in his short 19 years than any of us will dare to dream of. A young man that left us way too soon.

IMG_0034_2.jpg

Dominic Cartier-Luckhurst (1988-2008)

Dominic tragically died in a freak avalanche as he was ascending the east fact of Mount St. Piran near Lake Louise, Alberta (Canada) on Monday, January 7th, 2008. By all accounts, it was suppose to be a safe route, recent pit-diggings and all the BC skiing experts said so. Dom died when the snowpack unexpectedly gave way as he climbed, as he did his whole life, ever higher. Dominic was 19 years old. Dominic is Neil and Sylvie's son. Many long time members, and people that have known Neil for awhile, possibly had the pleasure of meeting, or better yet, hiking with Dominick over the past several years. If you had, it assuredly left an impression on you. He was someone whose energy gave you strength and inspiration as you explored the mountains with him.

Dominick grew to love the outdoors through his family and for a time, cut his teeth in the Adirondacks, earning his 46R (#5710) with Neil on Rocky Peak Ridge on October 1, 2005 at the age of 16.

100_0229_2.jpg

IMG_0025_2.jpg

In this time of great sadness, Neil has reached out and wants us to know he appreciates your kind words and that the family will be memorializing Dominic on Tuesday, January 15, 2007 at Mausolée Saint Martin (2159, boulevard St-Martin east, Laval QC). Viewings will be from 2 - 5 PM and 7 - 10 PM, with a Eulogy at 8 PM. If you can make it, the family would certainly welcome you in celebration of Dominic's life.

Neil has also asked me that if you were fortunate enough to have known, or hiked with Dominic, and have a memory or story you'd like to share, please PM him. The Eulogy will be heavily influenced by the very things that Dominic cherished most, the mountains chief among them. Neil would appreciate those stories. If you have any other questions, or wonder if there is anything else you can do, you are welcome to contact me (via PM) as well.

Feel free to leave a few words here as well.

IMG_0035_2.jpg

..... and a personal request, no matter who you are, next time you venture into the mountains, carry Dominic's spirit with you. His youth and exuberance will make you stronger and his passion and love of the mountains will help you to unlock the true beauty of the mountains he so loved.

Goodspeed Dominic, you will be with us ALWAYS.

100_0241_2.jpg

Last edited:
Neil,
We are so very sorry -- you and Sylvie are in our thoughts and our hearts. You have given so much to this community -- it is my hope that we can give back to you and your family with our collective strength, love and peace.
{{{{{Neil and Sylvie}}}}}

Tim, your words were beautiful and inspiring...MichaelJ and I have never met Dominic, but through your words his spirit is clear. Thank you.

Neil and Sylvie,

My thoughts and prayers are with both of you during this difficult time.
I am so very sorry to hear of your loss.

Dave

My thoughts are with Neil and his family and have been all day since I got an email about noon.

I had the pleasure of meeting Dom once on the Mt Jefferson summit in April 2006. He was staying at Grey Knob with his freind and they had just hiked Washingon - we talked and I mentioned VFTT (Chip, MEB, and Drew were with me as well) and he mentioned he was Neils son - which of course we knew Neil.

Later that year, Neil and Dom came down to the whites and hiked the madison gulf trail with arm,frodo,meb,and myself. I recall Dom soloing some rock on Sphinx col. Both of those days were among my favorites in the hills... one heck of a kid

RIP Dom.

Last edited:
Neil and Sylvie,

I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your son. I have never met your son but he sounds like he was a fine young man. He and the both of you are in my thoughts.

Keith

Neil and Sylvie -

Just a terrible loss. It breaks our hearts that this could happen to such a wonderful family. Our thought are with you and your family.
Take some solace that your many friends here share your grief.

Barbara and Alan

So sorry..

Words seem so inadequate. I can truthfully say I know the utter devastation you feel. I lost my oldest son Jack 20 months ago. He would have been 30 this past Christmas. Your son will be the last thing you think of when you fall asleep, and the first thing you will think of when you awake. It is like losing a limb. Will it heal? Yes. Will the pain go away? Yes. Will you ever stop feeling the loss? No. Though we have never met, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

KDT

Neil, Sylvie, we know there are no words or actions than can ease your pain today, tomorrow or ever. All we can offer is to attend Tuesday evening ceremony and we will. You are hurting like never before and in ways you never knew existed, we can all feel it wherever we are.

We wish you courage and strength at this most difficult time.

Alex & Christine

Nos pensées sont avec toi, Neil. Courage dans cette dure épreuve que la vie t'envoie!

Mario et Julie

This is a great, great loss and I am extremely sorry to hear of this. Neil, my deepest thoughts are with your family. His spirit will always be alive with his loved ones and the mountains he loved.

BlackSpruce said:
All we can offer is to attend Tuesday evening ceremony

I'm not promising but I too, am hoping to attend on Tuesday.

There's no greater pain than losing a child. This is a pain no parent should ever suffer. My Heart and My Prayers are with your Family.

Condolences to you and your family Neil. I have been a member here for a long time and have enjoyed your TRs and love of the outdoors. It sadens me deeply.

Dear Neil and Sylvie,

I was shocked to hear of this sad news. Dom was a wonderful young man and I was fortunate to have met him at the winter gathering at the Ark a couple of years ago.
His spirit and zest for life were a mirror of his wonderful parents love of the great outdoors.
He will be greatly missed. My heart goes out to you at this sad time.
I will see you at the Eulogy on Tuesday.

-Phil

Neil, my heart absolutely goes out to you and your family. I am so sorry.

-Dr. Wu

Sad news indeed....

Neil,

All I have to say is my heart goes out to you and your family in this unfortunate time. I also want to thank you for bringing Dominic up with the passion for the outdoors, which is what I define a "truely living" and not just existing in life...

He was one hell of a man, strong, humble, and had "the passion" of the mountains (just like his dad). Though I only was able hike with him once, he left quite the impression (especially when we ran the last 2 miles out on the Great Gulf Trail chatting about life and mountains)

I'm at a loss for words, but you couldn't have raised a more passionate son..

Oh no Neil and Sylvie,

I am so broken-hearted to hear such devastating news. It is an unbelievable tradegy to lose a child, particularly one so young and full of vibrant energy. There are no words I can express that will offer any comfort for your pain but please know that we will keep you and your family in our thoughts. If there is anything at all that you need, please, please ask . . . we, your hiking family, are here for you as you grieve your tremendous loss.

With a heavy heart and all my love,

Seema