Wet Slide at Tuckerman's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd read elsewhere that the slide happened late at night on Friday or early Sat morning. Very fortunate timing, as there was no one in the ravine then.

-dave-

Slab cut loose around 3am Saturday morning. Swept to the bowl floor, so it's a good thing it was at night... if it had happened on a weekend afternoon, the rescue situation would have been epically terrible.

pics don't do it justice

I saw the debris field in person last weekend, the pics don't do it justice...tons and tons of debris- I cannot believe how far it travelled. It's a very sobering sight.
We were at Hermit Lake Shelters when it happened, but did not hear anything. It was raining all night, which contributed to it breaking loose.
Whoever posts the avi reports (USFS?) at Pinkham predicted high danger if it kept raining- they nailed this one right on the head...

Last edited:
Saw it yesterday, I have never seen anything like it in 15 years, right down to bare soil!. Unfortunately the debris field is right in the middle of the bowl so its hard to make a controlled run out off the steep sections.