Wright's Mtn: 1-10-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Berard

Reaction score
N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
Wright's Mtn, Bradford, VT: 1-10-08

I've been doing a lot of local hiking lately, and decided to check out Wright's Mountain in Bradford, VT yesterday. I wanted to hike it from Chase Hollow trail, so I could check out Devil's Den , but the road wasn't plowed, so I went to the other side of the mountain, and hiked to the summit from Wright's Mountain Trail. It's only a .8 mile hike each way, up a wide open logging road, but it fit my time frame, and I heard the views to the south and west were good. I donned my 'shoes at the trailhead, and headed off. The snow was nice and crusty from the recent weather. With all the rain, and the warmer temps, I doubt there's much more than spotty snow cover left as I write this. At the top there is a cool little cabin, and a fire ring on the lookout ledge, complete with some stacked firewood!! Nearby, sits a newer "necessary house". The were actually TWO outhouses on this less than 1 mile long trail! :eek:
As promised, there are good views to the south to Ascutney, and to the west, although I'm not sure what I was looking at.
On the way down, I heard, and then saw, a Pileated Woodpecker flying through the trees below me. I think their flight pattern is really cool to watch.
At this point, as I looked east, I could see, Winslow Ledges, Smart's, Cube, Moosilauke, the Kinsmen, Cannon, Franconia Ridge, and the Northen Pressie's!! :eek: :D . I was not expecting that, and it was a real treat! Just after that view, I found a tree that the woodpecker had been working on. It's a wonder they don't get a concussion from all that hammering!!It was a short, but sweet hike, and I'll be back when I have more time to go see that cave.

slideshow here

Last edited:
thanks, Chris.

I've been having fun getting out to the smaller, local mountains in the Upper Valley lately. I've actually been going out a LOT right behind my house. I recently saw an 1860 map which showed a Slate Quarry on the ridge behind my house, so I've been meandering around up there. We're very fortunate here in the Upper Valley to have a ton of private land that is open to the public to use. One of these days, I'll find that quarry and put up some pics!! :cool:

Last edited:
OOPS! :eek: that didn't even cross my mind! Guess I really got to get over there and try hiking somewhere other than Vt and NH sometime!!!
I changed the title of the original post. hope that helps.
Glad you like the report anyway. :)