Hiker's Paridise...Gorham?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider solo

Reaction score
I was thinking of checking this place out as I have heard of it often but when I go to look it up I don't find it .
I'm wondering is that it's real name or just what it's commonly called.
Anybody have a phone # for it?
thanks...spdr

It is called "Hikers Paradise Hostel" but it is part of the Colonial Comfort Inn. The "Inn" is a standard motel, whereas the Hostel is a couple of bunkrooms with shower, kitchen and TV. Not fancy but adequate.

Phone: 603-466-2732. web www.hikersparadise.com
Lats year it was $14 per night. They let you "buy"a bike for $1 to get around town. The owner said selling rather than renting was a lawyer thing to avoid legal liability for injuries etc. The long time owner Bruno is a card, but a real nice guy at heart.

Pb

Bring ear plugs. The hostel attracts snorers like their lit sign attracts moths (I've seen beautiful, huge Luna moths there).

There are three separate sections to the hostel. Each has a couple of bunk rooms, a bathroom with shower, and a kitchen with full-size stove and fridge.

Bruno had the place on the market last fall - anyone know the status of that?

I stayed there a couple weekends ago, still up and running and was quite busy that night.

$15 per night for a bunk, as far as I know

I stayed at the Colonial Comfort last weekend. For $42 you get a room with two beds, a fridge, bathroom with shower, and free coffee, eggs, and toast in the morning - as well as stories about the types of heavy drinkers that roll into the place. According to Bruno, dart players are the heaviest drinkers (mostly liquor) followed by snowmobiliers (all beer).

N.B.: the walls are thin!

What snorers????? I couldn't hear them over someone snoring in my bunk... Oops, Sorry Mike. I've never looked at the Moths.

It's probably the closest thing left to the old C-Notch Hostel, fellow outdoors people sharing a common room & talking about the outdoors.

ANy news on the sale?

Hikers Paradise is a great basecamp for Winter hiking or skiing in the northern Whites - you can roll out of bed and hit local trailheads, avoiding a long drive early in the morning

if you've got two or more in your group, consider renting a room for a good night's sleep, and your own shower ... you can still walk up into the hostel's kitchen and chat with hikers and skiers

free breakfast if you rent a $42 room, but they don't start serving until 7:00AM ... there are a couple breakfast options in Gorham that open earlier if you're looking to get an early start

we asked Bruno why he was selling the place a couple weeks ago ... he said running the place was interfering with his skiing time

here's some info a friend sent last year:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about/pubs/atn/archive/ATN03Sep.pdf

Hostel. Hikers Paradise. On the Appalachian Trail. Unique 4-season hospitality business in the heart of New Hampshire's White Mtns. in Gorham. Consisting of a 31-bed A.T. hiker hostel, comfortable 14-unit motel, and a cozy breakfast restaurant. Offered at $565,000. Contact 1982 thru-hiker "Inching Irishman" (Michael Coyle), at Peabody & Smith Realty, (603) 823-5700.

I too have stayed there. They also have a nice breakfast downstairs. Good grub,Cheap sleep. What more could you ask for?

Incidentally, it's kind of cool that the directions to the place are "at the only traffic light in Gorham."

I too have enjoyed the breakfast there on several trips where getting out early wasn't necessary. Even if you get more than what's included with your room, the price is still excellent for the meal.

I hope whoever buys it keeps the business reasonably the same, and doesn't level it for a CVS.

Bring an extra set of earplugs and you can shove them into the nostrils of the nearby snorer...
:D