Lower Wolf Jaw 1-13-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMax

Reaction score
Avatar is on Gannett Peak, Wyoming's high point.
Trail Conditions: Took the early departure from the Lake Road so I could "redline" some more trail. The trail was is pretty bad shape. Lots of postholes, lots of water, lots of rock, etc... From the junction with the "WolfJaws" trail that comes up from the Lake Road, conditions improved. Wedge brook cascades was flowing like Spring! The snow was good hardpack so even negotiating the postholes wasn't too bad. I initially took the trail to left at WolfJaws notch (still redlining!). Some serious blowdown impairs that little bit of up and you have to carefully climb over some buried scrub. As the trail winds around the knob, there is some open water but then a pretty cool ice flow that has to be carefully negotiated. The climb up LWJ was beautiful, with a few pretty serious ice-flows but otherwise good hardpack snow.

Special Equipment Required: Snowshoes (PLEASE!!)

Comments: The summit was breathtaking as it was bathed in melting icicles. The views were awesome on this very sunny and clear day. While climbing up I could hear and at time see, all the large chunks of ice falling off the cliffs. It was both creepy and cool. What month is it?:D