Into Thick Air...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
For the past several months, Arm and myself have been planning the adventure of a lifetime. We wanted to summit Jerimoth Hill (812 feet, 247M), the mightiest peak in all of Rhode Island, but we also decided to do it in a more challenging manner than most. We discussed everything from riding 1880 circa bicycles to the top, to bushwhacking to the summit from "The Foxy Lady", but we decided on doing something even more challenging.... We were going to summit in WINTER...( insert scary theme music here). :eek: Hey about some music from the Snow Miser :)

So yesterday, We trained for minutes and spent at least several dozen seconds planning this expedition. We marked our calendars and before the ink could even dry, we were on our way to this far, far away realm called Rhode Island...

As we were traveling to this strange land, we realized that we had a problem with our plan. We had no Sherpa to guide us! We contemplated giving up on our quest to summit this colossal peak, when Arm came up with a fantastic idea. He decided to call one of the legendary figures from that exotic place and ask for help in fulfilling our hour long dream, and now we had a Sherpa, and his name was Swamp...

We could see the majestic tower rising several dozen feet above the asphalt terrain, as we approached base camp. Several seconds later we arrived at base camp only to find our guide, Swamp, ready to go. He arrived about 20 minutes ahead of us so he could acclimate for the summit approach. We all acclimated together for another 5 minutes, geared up, then were off to summit the Highest Point in this mysterious state called Rhode Island... And this map proves it's an Island! :D

We carried full winter gear, including rope, harness, ice screws, pulleys, pickets, ice axes, shovel, cans of Spam, sleeping bag, bivy sack, prayer flags, snowshoes, crampons, windshield ice scraper, stove, and even wands just in case the weather turned for the worse and we had to find our way back…

After an exhausting 6 minute climb across the rocky route, (otherwise known as a marble gravel path), we reached the Summit with lots of high 5’s, pictures, and shouts of joy!

We were so pleased with our “Low Altitude” expedition, after departing base camp we headed out to another, the High Point of Connecticut, Mt Frissell:D

Frodo, Arm,

Yes, real hikers do feel rather stupid bagging mighty Jerimoth ...

Should you want more low elevation thrills try county highpointing in RI.

Of more genuine interest: how did you do Frissell? Lots of potentially interesting ways are described on my Mount Frissell page. I never did it in winter; I believe that Tramper Al was doing (probably completed) the New England state highpoints in winter.

In case you ever decide to return to RI to re-summit the mighty Jerimoth, or maybe you dropped a snowshoe and have to go back, you forgot two extremely important driving requirments. First, disable you're turn signals. We don't allow them in RI and in fact you can be arrested on the spot for using them. Second, have you're middle finger on the window side locked and loaded. If anyone comes within five feet of you're car, let em have it. Just trying to keep you boys out of trouble.

You guys are WAY hardcore

I assume you did it Mission Impossible style ?

Last edited:
Frodo said:
We carried full winter gear, including rope, harness, ice screws, pulleys, pickets, ice axes, shovel, cans of Spam, sleeping bag, bivy sack, prayer flags, snowshoes, crampons, windshield ice scraper, stove, and even wands just in case the weather turned for the worse and we had to find our way back…

:D
I hope you had a cellphone in case you needed help or for that important summit call. :p

WOW. So glad you guys made it back safe.

Whats next, and expedition to Kansas?

Reactions: arm
skimom said:
I got a whoohoo! whoohoo! yahoo! phone call from the summit ... then another one after they safely made it down and out .... about 35 minutes later
That's a relief. I'm glad they were able to let their loved ones know they were okay. :)

Glad you brought all the gear and had a safe journey - you never know when a sudden storm could whip up - congratulations on a winter high point - you both should be very proud of your accomplisment! :D

chinooktrail said:
WOW. So glad you guys made it back safe.

Summiting the Florida highway overpasses? Britton Hill at 340' (104m) is the lowest highpoint, right? That should count for something.

I think Mt. Dora is the highest paved road in FL... 184'

Tim

Last edited:
now - I passed on this trip b/c I had to build a train table for my son.

I went up and down the stairs 5 times to get tools to do this - is it actually possible I did more ele than you guys on sunday? :eek: :eek: :eek: :)

BTW - foxy is too $$$$ - got to hot the caddy lounge - much more dirty and skanky... ;)

Code:
Mohamed wrote:

how did you do Frissell?
For Frissell, we parked at the Bear Mountain Trailhead on Rt 41 and did a 10 mile loop over Round Mt, to Frissell, down the Conn HP, then up and back around and over Bear Mt and down. Those were interesting peaks with great views! On the way down we even ran into a SAR Team who asked if we were lost??? We replied, "Not that we know of..." :eek:

2 hikers apparently became lost about a mile from the road and called in for help, so they sent out about every emergency vehicle from the entire County. It wasn't anything too serious, because the even the SAR were cracking jokes...

Code:
Chinooktrail wrote:

Actually once we recuperate, we are planning doing the talk show circuit, (Oprah, Leno, Regis & Kelly), then a book will be in the works, but after that we are thinking about attempting the highest point in Florida, which is Janet Reno... :D I have already climbed the second highest point, Britton Hill, and I also did that the hard way... In WINTER... :cool:

skiguy said:
Just in case if you guys need some moral building

These guys don't know what moral building is, thus their quite happy morale.
:D