South Carter via Trails (19 Mile Brk + Carter Dome + Carter Moriah): 16-Jan-2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Date Hiked: 16-Jan-2008

Conditions: All brook crossings were quite manageable, and there were no significant blowdowns. Also, all the above trails are broken out.

Met Jim C. on his way back down from a trek to Carter-Dome summit. I had him to thank for breaking out the Carter-Dome Trail today. (We didn’t recognize each other at first, but then realized that we’d done a bushwhack together up to East Hale about 2 years ago.)

I broke out the Carter-Moriah Trail from Zeta Pass to South Carter.

Special Equipment Needed: For both the Carter-Dome & Carter-Moriah trails, you’ll probably want snowshoes (at least as of today!!).

For the 19-Mile Brook Trail up to the Carter-Dome Trail intersection, was personally quite comfortable using snowshoes. (However, could see evidence that many had bare-booted this segment without significant post-holing.)

Comments: Supposedly, the various ranges in the Whites (Carters, Presidentials, etc) were going to eventually clear today. However, when starting out this morning, it just did not look to me like that would be happening. So, the decision was made to do South Carter. The rationale being that if the summits cleared, then perhaps I could do some off-trail viewing along the Carter-Moriah Trail in the vicinity of South Carter. But, if the summits didn’t clear, then at least South Carter could be added to my list of winter 4K peaks. And so, given the “iffy” weather conditions, this seemed like a “win-win” scenario.

Bottom line: Intermittent cloud cover and snow showers persisted during the time I was on the Carter Range. So, I was able to add South Carter as a winter 4K, but conditions were not agreeable for any off-trail viewing. Regardless of weather, it’s always great to be ‘out & about’ in the Whites!!

1HappyHiker