A Bath en Route to Cliff/Redfield 1/19

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Laura

Reaction score
Met Peter, Nick and Mike (all from Albany/Saratoga area) at Upper Works 6am Saturday morning. En route up Calamity Brook Trail, I realized I was marching with Marines and hoped I could keep their pace. Made good time to Flowed Land. Plan was to climb Cliff from near Henderson Point and descend down regular herd path to continue on to Redfield. While walking on what turned out to be thin ice, I watched Peter break through the ice up to his waist ahead of me!

Scurrying over to the bushes a few feet away, I yelled back to Nick and Mike to not follow our tracks and was dumbstruck watching Peter calmly climb up to solid ground- hardly perturbed. This may have been the most inspiring incident I can recall hiking- watching Peter change his socks and continue on ever faster ("my pants will dry").

Between Mike who had climbed this route before and Peter with his GPS skills, they led us up to the right of the steep cilffs and to the right of a drainage- incredibly efficient route up to Cliff's summit. The descent down the herd path was somewhat steep and we used rope to get down a couple of steep, icy sections. After brief break at Uphill Lean to, we followed the tracks of a few men who had broken out Redfield and met them near the summit (thank you!). Terrific views from both Cliff and Redfield. Back at the lean to, it was decided (to the great disappointment of Nick, who was a good sport about it) not to continue on to Gray and Skylight, so we returned to Upper Works before dark with no more incidents. Met a large group who broke out Marshall. Great day with super strong and nice hiking companions! Happy Birthday to Mike, too!
-Lucky Laura

Swimming??!

Hey Peter! You never took me swimming - it was just peakbagging and more peakbagging.
Laura - Glad it all worked out. :D
Mike - Birthdays can work to peakbgrs' advantages when they have to! I'm sure it was a HappyDay - sorry to have missed it.
Nick - You know I wouldn't have turned back. :rolleyes:
Sounds like you had a great trip and I hope to hook up w/ youall next trip (w/o the swim!)
Inge :)

And a happy birthday to you, Laura as well! You beat me to the trail report - THANKS! So you found an internet connection somewhere after all. I didn't know they were plugged in at Aunt Polly's. Hope you got in a good hike or ski on Sunday.

I've been telling people about Peter's erzatz polar bear club experience :eek: and virtually everyone has said "you bet I would have turned around and gone back to the car." Peter definitely wins the "no whiners" award! Nary a complaint about the 10 pound soggy boots or the sloshing about. Incredible.

I have rarely hiked with this strong a group both in body and spirit. It would have been a really long day to have done Gray and Skylight as well - I just don't think I had it in me to slug it up there and hike the whole way from the top of Skylight out in the dark and then survive the drive home. Sorry to Nick and Peter - I think they were both a little disappointed.

Very good to meet you - you are a very strong hiker yourself. I was quite impressed with your outdoor resume; especially your attempt on Denali. Stuff I can only dream of. I do think you need to share some of your wilderness wildlife management techniques with other members here. How does it go again? BAD MOOSE!! GO AWAY RIGHT NOW!! :D