Road Openings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytmountains

Reaction score
I know it is still Winter in the mountains ...

Any Road openings that are accessible yet, besides the few that remain open intermittenly throughout the Winter. I was very curious about Evans Notch in the White Mountains.

Can someone link me to Mohamed Web Site ( that I should have bookmarked !!)

Evans notch

Thanks SP
That was fast.

I guess there isnt too much open yet, as I expect but, Evans Notch road seems to open somewhat early on.
Anyone out there know the scoop on it. Thanks in advance
John

Mohamed

Ive heard of a group going up to the Evans Notch area this weekend because they had heard of an early gate opening? Thought it was a month, best case senario, early to be open... but then again what do I know. :confused: :confused:
Just thought I'de throw it out there to folks who may know for sure.

Thanks for the time amd effort for doing this very valuable service for the hiking community. I appreciate it very much, as we all do, I'm sure.

John

We have a fair amount of frost in the ground here in the Granite State right now (maybe more than usual?) Whatever water doesn't rush downhill tonight to Newburyport, Saybrook, or other seaside destinations is sitting on top of the ground.

As a result, unpaved roads and trails are very soft in places and likely to be that way for a while. They are at their most vulnerable to erosion these days. It would help all who enjoy the backcountry if we could "tread softly" and/or abstain from the most vulnerable places for a while until things firm up.

Sardog1

Maybe this topic could be broached for replies on a different thread. It would be more visible that way and would be very interesting to see who abstains and or bends their hiking schedules around the season soon approaching us.

The ideas and remarks offered by posters could be very revealing and educational.

My $0.02 worth
I, myself, hike whenever I have the chance to. I try not to make “new ways” around muddy or wet areas by staying on the trail. I try to be sensible about the present trail conditions and don’t alter or create new paths from point A to point B. I feel it is better for the surrounding environment to contain the wet/muddy area to one spot then to broaden it. As far as the way into the trailhead is concerned, if my car can get there in a safe manner by staying on the road surface … I’m there.

What are your thoughts?
John