Vose Spur - flagging removed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dug said:
In the legal sense, you probably could've been in trouble. However, I would think there has to be some provisions about items in rights-of-way not being a hazard. I believe there is a license surveyor who is a member of this board, maybe they can chime on the legalities here. Worst case, the surveyer sounds like an idiot. I probably wouldn't have pounded it in, but instead called the town over to take care of it. Lot corners and lot lines shouldn't be placed in the right of way, they should be placed at the EDGE of the right-of-way. Sounds like the surveyor and the town are in disagreement as to what they perceived as the real property edge. What did the pipe intend to designate?
That was the odd part -it was simply a point on the property line - nothing special about it, and about 50 yards from the corner. The town had nothing to do with the survey - I believe the father of the adjoining property owner paid for the survey. As far as I was concerned, it was a hazard, so I removed it.

Not unlike the presumptive way some remove flagging tape in the woods for whatever reason(s) ... ;)

bikehikeskifish said:
That's an awfully strong statement. Can you prove it was irresponsibly placed? What is irresponsible is leaving the tape in place on the way out.

At some point, you went on your first hike, and eventually your first bushwhack, and maybe your navigational skills weren't what they are today.

Keep in mind that public land is open to the public, beginners and experts alike. Much as we like to think we're above the beginners and tourists, w/o them there wouldn't be much of a north country economy (for good or for bad.) We all were beginners at one time.

Tim

I understand this concern, that it might be a newbie who is currently in the woods and needs it to get back out. However, the chances of this happening are extremely low. I've never heard of an example when someone was lost in the woods because the flagging they left dissappeared before they hiked back out. The odds are almost nill.

I often remove flagging that is old. I can see the aging because the color fades quickly on the south side of the tree. When I'm bushwacking I'm just wandering and observing whatever I see, without any particular destination. So when I see a line of flagging, I usually just follow it to where it leads, which is usually an old campsite. Then I remove the trash and naturalize the site( disperse the old ring of rocks, the standing sticks, the rotting lean-to, remove rotting rope from trees,etc.)

I think the vast majority of people using flagging do so illegally, and worse, as you state, fail to remove it when they leave, but that's because it is intended to mark a route for future use.

happy trails :)

I guess it's a judgment call. I personally do not feel I have the authority to mess with tape or flagging I might stumble on. Food wrappers and water bottles - I will pick those up. I'm leaving tape alone though.

Tim

Kevin Rooney said:
That was the odd part -it was simply a point on the property line - nothing special about it, and about 50 yards from the corner. The town had nothing to do with the survey - I believe the father of the adjoining property owner paid for the survey. As far as I was concerned, it was a hazard, so I removed it.

Not unlike the presumptive way some remove flagging tape in the woods for whatever reason(s) ... ;)

I would have done the same. There is not reason for a permanent marker along a lot line. Just the corner. It would be possible they would've pounded in state to get a traverse point, but it wouldn't be considered permanent and would be able to be removed.

For what it's worth, the flagging on PATN is now removed as well. Guess I'll insulate my house with all of it. :eek: