Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wet & Sweaty Feet

I completely change my footwear car -> hike and hike -> car, drying with a towel even. I have noticed that when I get home and dump out my gear, the toe area of the boots are damp. Since they are new and considered waterproof I'm guessing it's mostly sweat. I can live with this for now as I am not doing multiple day trips.

Antiperspirant in general don't help me much. I'm guessing an aerosol would work best on feet? How about powder to absorb moisture?

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

I think powder is great but it loses its effectiveness quickly...curious - is it a bad idea to use antiperspirant on your feet - I mean, we are sweating for a reason...just wondering...
    - Mike

How bad can it be?
    Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by sapblatt
    I think powder is great but it loses its effectiveness quickly...curious - is it a bad idea to use antiperspirant on your feet - I mean, we are sweating for a reason...just wondering...
    Hi Mike -

I have never suffered any ill effects from using antiperspirant aerosol spray (basic Sure deodorant) on my feet. It works pretty well, too Powders did seem to wear out, as you stated.

I regretted not remembering to spray my feet prior to my last hike. My feet sweat quite a bit and they consequently got a bit cold. My boots and socks were quite damp.

Not sure about VBL socks yet. Will have to ponder them.

Marty
    So when you reach the bottom line
    The only thing to do is climb
    Pick yourself up off the floor
    Anything ya want is yours

Song: Bottom Line
    Artist: Big Audio Dynamite
    Album: This is Big Audio Dynamite
    Year: 1985

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish
    Antiperspirant in general don't help me much. I'm guessing an aerosol would work best on feet? How about powder to absorb moisture?
    I use a stick antiperspirant and rub it in between my toes with my fingers. Seems to help keep things a bit drier. My leather double mountaineering boots also are sufficiently breathable to let most of the moisture out--after a day in my Mouse boots, I used to almost be able to wring water out of my socks.

Doug

solutions for wet feet

I have two ideas in mind, the first less radical then the second.
    1) deodorant- not just for under the arms. I read about this but never tried it as I don't have sweaty feet.
    2) some people are just born with more sweat glands, or overactive ones and I read of a proceedure used for people with very sweaty hands. Maybe this can be done for the feet. I believe it involves cutting nerves. Radical.
    Solvitur Ambulando
    "...Go ahead"

The Drysol I use is a liquid and you need to use it before hiking not the day of. I apply it to my feet, wrap my feet in saran wrap and wear white sox over the wrap. (Ok, not an attractive sight. When I did this recently, my BF was like what the hell...) I do this at bedtime 2-3 times a week for 2 weeks before the hike. After that, I can usually get away with a once a week maintenance application during the winter hiking season. My feet absolutely do not sweat with this method. In the past, my sox and boots would be saturated with sweat and of course my feet would be freezing. The bottoms of your feet will get very dry so I will use a moisturizer on the feet during the day to keep them from becoming too rough. Regular deodorant didn't work for me. In the summer, I use bodyglide on my feet. It does not prevent sweating but it does prevent chafing and blisters.

I am not sure if its used on the feet but for folks with excessively sweaty underarms for whom Drysol does not work, Botox injections usually work.
    Carol

I second (or third) the drysol
    Do what you love, love what you do