Slides

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewfinder

Reaction score
Coupla things...

Some folks were posting re:basin and dix slides...I was in to ski the north slides on Dix one month ago and they were a blasted mix of bulletproof ice bulges, 1/2 - 12 inches of powder atop bare rock, and just plain bare rock. We thought they 'looked fine' from afar too, but there's some sorta devilish funky light wave thang that goes on such that, when you actually get up and close, the're nothing like you presumed. With the March drought, I imagine that all you're seeing from afar is white light reflected off of ice and wet rock...perhaps the ice is soft enough to carve some turns in, though....bittersweet place!

On another note, when we were picking our way down those slides (we went to the top of the central one) I was flabbergasted by the slide on the east face of Nippletop. I sware that wasn't there when i was on the summit of Dix a couple of years ago. Am I wrong? Anyone know what I'm talking about and when that thing came down? Has anyone noticed it?

Viewfinder

It was there in July '03

Here's a LINK to a a photo I took on July 10. You can clearly see the slide. In fact, cause it's in GALLERY, you can actually enlarge the pic to full size 1800x1200 (click the picture) and see a close up of it. It's actually surpisingly close up and clear.

Anyone ever been up it, looks interesting.

Last edited:
first ascent rights

Come on now! Don't I get dibs?

Let's set a date!

Nothin' like slimbing slides in spring with the melt/freeze, rain, snow, rain randomness!

Dibs eh? Well, we are going to be at Dix Pond Shelter Saturday night, April 24th. If you hike it before then, props. If you choose to join us, well, its a free country.

Oh, and Randomness is good. But we will be going safely. If it gets too hairy, we are going to turn back.

-percious