Acadia National Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuco

Reaction score
Next month I will be around Acadia and may have 1/2 a day to run into the park and look around- 5-6 hours.

Any of you Acadia regulars in the winter have any ideas how I should take advantage of that opportunity in that short period of time?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Have you ever been to Acadia? You'd have two choices as I see it. If you wanted an easy time of it, you could snowshoe on the carriage roads which would be a great introduction to the place. Your choices of routes are limitless. Grab a map. The other choice would be to 'shoe up one of the mountains. Again, you'd have many choices there too, depending on how hard you felt like working and how much time you had.

Here's a link for you http://www.acadia.national-park.com/hike.htm Hiking around Jordan Pond or Bubble Pond is always a safe bet. But there are no bad choices, unless you chose to snowshoe up the Precipice Trail. Acadia is gorgeous in any season and there was a thread last month on this board saying that they've had high levels of snow this year. Enjoy.

bob

Thanks. Never been there, and be happy to do anything so its all good.

Appreciate the links! I may call in advance and talk to them a day or two before to get some info.

Well, you can have lots of fun if you don't ski (but not as much :D ).

As others have said, there are tons of great hikes, walks, drives you can do in the park. One particularly good one is to leave from Upper Hadlock Pond and go up one of the several trail variations that go over Bald, Parkman and Gilmore and then head to Sargent Mtn. Then you can head south, southeast over Penobscot and Cedar Swamp Mtns to return to your car. It sounds like a lot, but it isn't. Definitely have a map as the area is small, yet dowsed with trails so you can easily get confused on which way you are going.

Bring snowshoes and crampons: you could need either or both since almost anywhere you go you'll have some windblown above treeline stretches and some potentially powdered crags between bumps. Ice is more likely than deep powder but be prepared for either.

If you don't end up with time for much hiking, a simple drive on the Park Loop Rd (one lane is plowed) along the coastal section is spectacular. You can combine the drive with shorter hikes up the Beehive (steep with a bunch of icy spots) or Gorham Mtn (less steep but fun terrain and cave-like spots).

You can get a cheap, free map at the park or in several places around town but the one mentioned earlier and the AMC map are far superior. Stop in at Cadillac Mountain Sports and they'll have some good suggestions for you (duh!).

Have fun and wave on your way through Bangor...
Spencer

Thanks Spencer, lots of good suggestions all around.

I will definitely get some kind of hike in but do want to drive around a bit to see some of the park.

I suspect that after being there I'll want to add another trip there with more time in the summer!