Wildcats -- 1/20/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
So after a night of partying at Barnes with the unusual suspects, Jeff and I got up to meet WhichWay and hit the Wildcats for more wintery fun. We had the toughest time getting started though! Follow this...

We were suposed to meet het at the Gorham McD's at 8:30, but she was late. Then we tried to go to the Moon Bean cafe for breakfast but EVERYONE was there. We were told there would be at least a half hour wait so we left. Then we went to the White Mountain Cafe for breakfast and killed some serious time there. We were so cozy no one was motivated to do anything. Finally, we left. WhichWay and I drove to Wildcat ski are while Jeff stopped at Cumby's. He finally got to Wildcat, but WhichWay was still in the base lodge taking care of business and picking up a ski trail map. We finally loaded up Jeff's car with our gear and headed over to Nineteen Mile Brook TH. We got there and started unloading stuff... then WhichWay realized her snoshoes were still in her car. Pile everything back into Jeff's car and arrive back to McD's in Gorham. By the time we finally hit the trail, it was after noon!

Shortly after we hit the trail, I crashed from all the caffeine that was in my morning beverage. Slogging along, well behind the other two, I was in a fog. Jeff was having issues with the cold so he wasn't feeling that much like hitting the peaks. When we got to the trail junction, he offered the suggestion of just visiting the hut and heading back but I shot that idea down. I had my second wind and wanted to get those peaks! A little ways up WhichWay commented that she was unsure of her layers and gear, never having been up these peaks before. Two to one... I reconsidered the goal of the peaks. By the time I caught up to Jeff though, he had a change of heart and wanted to do them and we assured WhichWay that the ridge wasn't exposed and that we had extra layers and gear should she find hers to not be sufficient. Everyone is happy now! Yay!! Onward!!!

We hit the viewpoint and then the summit of Wildcat A all very happy. We took pics and then rolled along the ridge admiring the views of Washington and the Wild River Valley as we cruised along. BTW, I was loving my new MSRs on the climb! When we finally got to the tower and Wildcat D, WhichWay didn't believe that we were at the summit! Yup, we're here we told her. She finally bought it.

We took a short break to warm up before heading down. Having done this in winter before, I knew about the Polecat and that had been the original plan with it being so late, so cold, and so windy, for safety sake we needed to get down fast... REAL fast. So, we applied our Saddleback method using blue trails walking and glissading. Much more of the latter.

There was one especially memorable run. We stopped walking and Jeff went down first, rather quickly. Then WhichWay followed, also moving quite well. Then after letting her gain some distance, I headed off. With my heavy pack plus holding my snowshoes and poles it was a little difficult to start but once I did, I was off like a rocket. I was amazed at how quickly I was picking up speed. Faster and faster my nylon shell pants carried me. I suddenly heard a loud BOOM as I broke the sound barrier. I tried to yell "Look out!" as I blasted past WhichWay, still gaining speed. My goggles, sitting on top of my hat were doing me little good and as I was trying to break with my feet snow was flying up in my face and blinding me. Soon, that didn't matter as I was traveling faster than the speed of light. I don't know how I made that turn and why the blue flames shooting off of me weren't melting all the snow. Faster still, I heard a tearing sound as I tore the fabric of the space-time continuum. Now I was travelling backwards through time watching the summit buildings on Washington become deconstructed. I had to STOP!!! This was MUCH too fast!!!! Digging in my feet and elbows further I managed to slow myself back down to ludicrous speed. At that point, I saw that I was catching up to Jeff at an alarming rate. He came to a stop and I yelled for him to "Look out!!". Digging in with all my might, I came to a stop less than six inches from plowing into him. I breathed a sigh of relief, broke the rime ice that had formed on my face and was able to look up just in time to see WhichWay come to a dramatic stop about two feet from slamming into me.

It just goes to show that sometimes getting back from there is half the fun!

Here are some pics.

Last edited:
A few questions:

1. Was the trail along the ridge reasonably broken out? I plan to try it in a couple weeks.

2. Did you have an ice axe with you?

3. Do you have a death wish?

Doesn't say much for your native intelligence, dude, to start a hike after noon. Bad example! I wouldn't crow about it.

Doublebow,

HOW DARE YOU commit the cardinal sin of having fun on this hike. Unacceptable!!!! HOW DARE YOU make decisions on the spot that would make people sitting behind a computer with no knowledge of the actual conditions grow squeamish. HOW DARE YOU start 7.5 mile hike on well marked and broken out set of trails at noon! DON'T YOU KNOW YOU ONLY HAVE 5.25 HOURS OF USABLE LIGHT AFTER NOON?!? You would have to maintain a speed of 1.42 mph to make it out before you might need (gasp) Headlamps!!!! Thats a completely unreasonable speed for a healthy group of 3 in the lower 30s!!!!!!!

Truly, this is a dark day in hiking history.

Last edited: