Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baselayer suggestions

Hi Neil - I'm a member of the heavy sweater club and bought the MH Featherweight after reading the great results you and others have had with it. On the MH site, I think it is called Transition Zip T, is this the shirt you have used? I ordered my usual size and it's a bit loose, certainly not form fitting. I was wondering if I should go a size smaller or if you've ever tried layering under it. It seems like on some of the colder mornings, I might want an additional layer and my thinking was that it would be better to layer something under it, rather than over it, but maybe I'm off on that. I'm also concerned that since it is a bit loose it won't perform as well as it should. Given the high price tag, I'd really like to get the maximum performance from it. I've tried getting in touch with MH directly to see if they would recommend going a size smaller, but have had no luck. Any recommendation on sizing or experience with layering?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnhiker
    Hi Neil - On the MH site, I think it is called Transition Zip T, is this the shirt you have used? I ordered my usual size and it's a bit loose, certainly not form fitting. I was wondering if I should go a size smaller or if you've ever tried layering under it.
    IMO, if you layer under it you lose the benefit. My interpretation is that you want that piece of textile bonded right to your skin. And yeah, it's a zip-T.

The layer to wear over it, according to the guy who turned me on to the Featherweight, is the Mtn. Hardware Torch Softshell, which is my next purchase.

Thumbs up MH transition featherweight

Well I ordered it from STP. We'll give it a go. Under $50 with a 20% off coupon code. Also got an icebreaker marino wool longsleeve tee but only had in XL so will probably be too big. I have a return going back there anyway so I'll just throw them in if they don't fit. Thanks for all the good suggestions.
    Do what you love, love what you do

I've always found the Gear Guy who writes for Outside quite knowledgeable. His current column touches on this topic. You can find it here.