Trip Proposal -- Wapack End to End

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_151

Reaction score
I'm just trying to see if there's any interest in a VFTT end to end hike of the Wapack Trail. It extends 21 miles from Watatic in Ashburnham, MA to North Pack Monadnock in Greenfield , NH. The book time by the AMC Southern NH Trail Guide is 13 hours, 15 minutes. I'd personally put it at about 12 hours at a leisurly pace, and 10-11 going hard.

I propose the trip being around May 15th-16th, weather permitting.

Any interest?

Mark_151 said:
I'm just trying to see if there's any interest in a VFTT end to end hike of the Wapack Trail. It extends 21 miles from Watatic in Ashburnham, MA to North Pack Monadnock in Greenfield , NH. The book time by the AMC Southern NH Trail Guide is 13 hours, 15 minutes. I'd personally put it at about 12 hours at a leisurly pace, and 10-11 going hard.
I'd love to, but can't do it in May. It's easily doable in a day, though. Last November I did the part from Ashburnham to Miller State Park. Started at 5:00, missed a trail junction in the dark, and had to backtrack a bit. Still could have done the whole thing except that we'd spotted a car at Miller. 13 hours would have been about right to go all the way to North Pack, especially if you take the right trail.

Frosty

A few of us hiked the Wapack last October and with a semi-normal pace we managed to finish in just over 10 hours. I think this was counting the nap on Pack Monadnock!

It was absolutely beautiful in the fall and I remember wondering what the trail would look like in the summer with all the flowers in bloom......

Wapack hike

Hi, Mark

I'd be interested--probably in the slow group, if available. But, that weekend does not work for me. I keep doing the section in Massachsetts but would really like to see the rest of the trail.

Pat T

Good to see there's some interest so far. Just to clarify -- the date I proposed is just that -- a proposal. I just want to get the ball rolling and let all of us try to work out the date. I'd even personally take a mid-week vacation day if that worked for everyone.

I was wondering if everyone who's interested would put their preferences in their response for the date they're prefer for the hike. Maybe we can come up with a plan for that.

Mark

I have edited this to count me out instead as I have just realized this to be the Brain Tumor society Bike Ride weekend.

Wish I could go as well but both events are too much for me and I'm ridin'

Last edited:
sli74 said:
Would it be possible to wait till the weather forecast is known and make a "last mintue" decision? Mid week towards the 3 rd week in May works for me and I'd be interested in a slow group as well. Thanks,

sli74

Sure!! I'm semi-embarrassed to admit this, but I chose the date I proposed based on the Old Farmer's Almanac's prediction for the weather that weekend.
It looks like so far most people are interested in a slow, leisurly hike of this beautiful trail. Great time of the year to do it, especially with the long days now.

I'm interested... this hike has been on my wish list. The first 2 weekends in May work best for me, or a mid day hike will work as well.

Okay,

How about we make the May Gathering a Wapack End to End Hike?

I have been "counting" the votes for the May Gathering and because of everyone's vacation time combined with all the "holidays" and such, we are at an even split between the 8-9 of May and the 15-16 of May . . . However given that most of the folks riding in the TBTS Bike Ride will want to sleep comfortably the night before I think it would be best to schedule the "Gathering" for May 8-9 with the "event" for the gathering being this suggested end-to-end hike? Any interest? If people seem like they might want to do this I will post it on the Gathering thread. I am out of town for a while but I will check in when I get back and see what the consensus is . . .

sli74

sli74 said:
Okay,

How about we make the May Gathering a Wapack End to End Hike?

I have been "counting" the votes for the May Gathering and because of everyone's vacation time combined with all the "holidays" and such, we are at an even split between the 8-9 of May and the 15-16 of May . . . However given that most of the folks riding in the TBTS Bike Ride will want to sleep comfortably the night before I think it would be best to schedule the "Gathering" for May 8-9 with the "event" for the gathering being this suggested end-to-end hike? Any interest? If people seem like they might want to do this I will post it on the Gathering thread. I am out of town for a while but I will check in when I get back and see what the consensus is . . .

sli74

Sounds interesting. I was going to post the following proposal if there was alot interest in the end to end.

With Sli's idea, I'd like to take it a bit further. The mid-point of the hike, Windblown XC Center, has several shelters available for rent, as well as the base lodge. If there's interest, we could even do this as a 2 day hike and really go at a leisurly pace. I'd just have to do a little research to make sure overnight parking at the 2 trailheads is ok.

Here's what the Warming Hut looks like:

Warming Hut 1

Warming Hut 2

Warming Hut 3

Warming Hut 4

Mark

Last edited:
Mark_151 said:
I'd just have to do a little research to make sure overnight parking at the 2 trailheads is ok. Mark
Not sure if you mean "legal" or "safe" when you say "ok." It's legal, anyway, and probably as safe as any trailhead overnight parking. There's a parking lot at the southern end (Ashburnham). You have to park on the side of the road at North Pack.

Frosty

Frosty said:

Not sure if you mean "legal" or "safe" when you say "ok." It's legal, anyway, and probably as safe as any trailhead overnight parking. There's a parking lot at the southern end (Ashburnham). You have to park on the side of the road at North Pack.

Frosty

I was talking legal. I wasn't sure if Old Mountain Road was legal to park overnight on.

In any case, Mohamed had an interesting point about making this an overnight trip. As it is now, there's only about 8 people interested in doing this. Not enough for a "Gathering", so unless the idea of a May Gathering takes off, I'm thinking we should keep this as a day hike. Now, a winter traverse with a rental of the Warming Hut would be interesting....

Mark

I have a committment the evening of the 8th, so I can do it on the 9th as a day hike, or on the 8th if we start really early. :D

Still trying to figure out how to make it work for the everyone. I didn't realize I was clashing with the Brain Tumor ride -- I wasn't following that thread for lack of road bike.

How would it work for people to push the hike up past the 15th & 16th? Nothing's tight here, I threw up the date just to get things rolling. I'd even do it Memorial Day weekend if there's interest. On the other end of the spectrum, I have next Friday thru Monday off, but it's hoplessly mud season and no fun there right now.

Mark

Good Choice

I have done this hike in early May and it is wonderful -- weather tends to be mild, but not hot, views are quite nice given a relative lack of vegetation. Our group finished in just over 10 hours going south to north.

I would love to do it again. May 8 or 9 works for me. As Mohammed suggests, doing over two days makes it less interesting.

Add me to the list, please, if you decide on a day hike.
Any weekend in May is good.
(reserve me a slot with the medium-to-slow grouping)

Jim Willette