My Longest Winter Hike- Zealand/Bonds Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Early Bird

Reaction score
About a week ago I received an email from hiking friend Ed that he and Dave would be leading a Zealand/Bonds traverse on January the 26th. Wow, that sounds great, I thought- a full day of hiking. I got out my map to check the total mileage. .8 then 2.9 to 4.4... I got up to 19 and decided, maybe it’s better if I don’t know exactly how long this is. So, I stopped adding.

The really hard part, the part I’d not done before, was going to be setting my alarm clock for 2:30 AM :eek: to make the 5:30 trailhead meeting. Driving up RT 93 I kept thinking, this is where I usually am when the sky begins to turn a twilight blue. This is where I am when sunrise turns the world into I’m-glad-to-be-awake-to-see-this colors. Nothing of the sort this morning. The Zealand winter lot was dead of night dark. Ed had me pile into Rols’s car for the car spot to Lincoln Woods with Andy and Bruce where I promptly propped my head on the pile of backpacks. While they talked about hiking trips to Alaska, New Zealand, and Death Valley, I was half- asleep dreaming of my electric blanket. I promised to be more talkative on the trail.

At Lincoln Woods it was still too dark to see anyone really well, but I started hearing names I recognized- Lars, Marc Howes, Audrey, Dave, Eric. There were 13 of us in all. Most of us began barebooting up the Wilderness Trail at our own pace agreeing to regroup at the bridge. As the day began, I was finally enjoying the sunrise, daylight, and the chickadees along the way.

We stopped briefly at the Black Pond Tail and again at the bridge, waiting for all to regroup, we had a breakfast of sorts. I had my “healthy” organic pop tarts and enjoyed observing others’ choices- Gatorade, BK double cheese burgers, gorp, bagel sandwiches. From here, five began to snowshoe on, the rest of us still in our bare boots were doing all right to the Bondcliff Trail which we reached at a 2.6 mph pace including our breaks.

At this junction we chatted with a small group out for an overnight. I’d heard there was going to be an AMC group out backpacking this weekend, and we were wishfully thinking they might break trail for us. “Are you the AMC group,” I asked? They weren’t; they were group out of NY. They then asked if we were an AMC group. “No, we aren’t part of any one organization.” He looked incredulous that this large a group could get together in an unofficial club gathering. They’d posted their trip and gotten no responses. “We’re just friends of Ed- and Dave,” I tried to further explain. “The friends of Ed group.” I thought it had a nice ring to it. They still couldn’t quite believe it. From here we all donned our snowshoes, to save the trail, although it seemed well packed, and followed Eric’s quick clip up towards Bondcliff.

Walking up I talked with Joni about natural history, with Ron about his and his daughter’s upcoming finish of their 4K’s which a 6 month old grandbaby will be joining, and with Dave and Audrey on long distance cycling. We are at the ridge before I knew it. I am sort of thinking now it would have been nice to have checked our time here and there. But my mind set was don’t focus on time or distance. It’s going to be a long full day, just hike until you get back to the car. Zen hiking. Enjoy.

And enjoy I did. I enjoyed the roadless views, light to nonexistent winds on Bond Cliff and Bond, and group gear of 49 cent clearance Christmas cookies. I enjoyed the warming sun that allowed us to sit on West Bond to have our sandwiches and more group gear, Little Debbie snacks, without gloves or extra layers. I enjoyed the bright blue skies and miles of views and seeing Poison Ivy on her way to finishing her 4K on Bond. (Congrats!!) I enjoyed talking with Sarah about her amazing ultra-trail running feats. I enjoyed every step of the way and the perfect amout of mini-breaks we took. I enjoyed the Pringles jokes and the laughter that comes for a great group out in winter.

Mt. Guyot was very nice. I’d never done the stretch of trail connecting the Bonds to Zealand. It is always good to be on new territory. From there darker clouds began to fall away from Mt. Washington. In contrast, its snowy peak and the observatory looked like a castle rising above the clouds. I went for my camera and remembered I’d decided to leave it home. That was the first time I’d wished I’d had it. The second was coming off Zealand and viewing the presidential range, now completely out of the clouds and cast in pastel alpenglow. It would also have been great to have had a group shoot of all of us at some point along the way. Hopefully, others will post their pictures. :) Thirteen similarly paced happy winter hikers are a real treat to be out with.

At Zealand Hut we ditched our snowshoes and prepared for the descent by putting on headlamps. I also put my down jacket on under my shell not expecting to generate heat the rest of the way. We stuck together until we hit Zealand Road, where we’d continue down at our own pace and shuttle one anther back to Lincoln Woods as we arrived. I got back into my car my just before 8:00 PM, just less than 13½ hours after the start.

On the car ride back to Lincoln Woods I said, “I guess this is my longest winter hike.”
“It’s the longest winter hike there is,” I was told.
Well at least I know it doesn’t get any worse that this. Or any better.

Last edited:
Congrats and Thank You

Congrats on a great hike and thank you for nice report, Early Bird. Your report gives me inspiration and plants the seed of excitement in me for tomorrow's hike as we will follow your course but hit Hale on the way out.
We almost saw you yesterday morning as we were planning to go north to south but had a change of plans instead and did the Willey Range. So it will be tomorrow. Again, thanks for the seeds of excitement!

Edit: Just back now from dropping my car off for the end of the hike and had the good fortune to see Hiker Bob & Amy coming out. It was good to congratulate her on getting those elusive peaks!

Last edited:
It was great meeting you and spending the day on the trail. It was a great day.

My thanks to Ed for putting the trip together and for his leadership during the day.

Excellent TR! Do you happen to know any of the "splits", just for reference? I have tentative plans to do this later this winter, probably from the Zealand side back to LW.

Tim

Thanks, everyone.
Tom & Atticus said:
Your report gives me inspiration and plants the seed of excitement in me for tomorrow's hike as we will follow your course but hit Hale on the way out.
Thanks. And I see that there is way to make it longer- add Hale. Best to you tomorrow. Enjoy the time out.

Rols said:
It was great meeting you and spending the day on the trail. It was a great day.
My thanks to Ed for putting the trip together and for his leadership during the day.
Definitely likewise on both meeting you and to Ed.

Jason Berard said:
I'm looking forward to pics if anyone has some to share.
Me too. :)

bikehikeskifish said:
Do you happen to know any of the "splits"...
Dude, I was Zen hiking... Okay, I did carry a GPS watch, but I only looked at it on the Wilderness Trail, then I lost interest in it. The next time I checked was after Zealand Hut and it read battery low. By the time I was at the car it had died. I'll recharge it, check the data, and get back to you about what I learn. I didn't mess with it at all or set any points though.

Early Bird said:
On the car ride back to Lincoln Woods I said, “I guess this is my longest winter hike.”
“It’s the longest winter hike there is,” I was told.
Well at least I know it doesn’t get any worse that this. Or any better.
I don't know, Early Bird, there's always a Pemi circuit--especially if you include Owl's Head! :D

Great hike and great TR!

Thanks for writing the TR E.B. I just put something up in the TC section! Oops! should have looked here first :-D

This was a great traverse. We lucked out on the weather!!!!

I got a shot of the "castle in the sky" I'll share it when I get it uploaded :D

Congratulations, Early Bird, to you and your fellow hikers! That's a great hike in either direction.

Well done.

:D

This was a very shocking sight, everything to the north was just dreary clouds, then there was this bright white clear as day beacon hovering above. Very very cool.

george.jpg

More Pictures

Nice hike!

Did I meet one of you Friday (25th) at Lincoln Woods after my Flume hike, while you were scouting out the river? Asked me about snow depths?

A group of 13 in a wilderness area? Oh the HORROR!! :) ;)

Last edited:
bikehikeskifish said:
Do you happen to know any of the "splits", just for reference? I have tentative plans to do this later this winter, probably from the Zealand side back to LW.

Tim
Sorry, no new info for you since I didn't mark any waypoints. Good luck to you when you do this later.