ADK n Cats Winter rules...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul ron

Reaction score
Are there any rules for the ADKs n Catskills Park trails concerning snowshoe use in winter?

Hi Paul Ron,

Etiquette rules or official rules? ;)

The ADK's do indeed have official rules for snowshoe use. I believe snowshoes are required when there is 8" or more snow on the ground.

Rob

Hobbes said:
Hi Paul Ron,

The ADK's do indeed have official rules for snowshoe use. I believe snowshoes are required when there is 8" or more snow on the ground.

Rob
There are no rules for the Catskills, but we appreciate it when you do not post hole. You will too! :D

2 of 3 times I've been out in the Cats this January I noticed the trails have been a mess with post holing and was wondering if there were official rules concerning snowshoes.

Also I notice many of the TRs, I see people reporting they "didn't need snowshoes" or "not much post holing" which just makes a mess of the trails, especially in the steeps.

Thanks

Hobbes said:
Hi Paul Ron,

Rob

From the DEC website....the law is as follows:

In the High Peaks Wilderness Area, no person shall: .....

vii. fail to possess and use skis or snowshoes when the terrain is snow-covered with eight or more inches of snow;
So, you are free to NOT wear them any where else in the dack including areas up to the boundry of the high peaks wilderness area. Of course it is common courtesy to wear them if you are leaving impressions greater than 2 or 3" to avoid postholing and possibly being beaten senseless by fellow trail users.