Favorite Catskill Peak.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Have some time off coming up in February and was looking forward to hiking a peak or two in the Catskills. Did all 35 but was looking to go back and hit a few again just as a day trip.

2 questions...
1 - What's your favorite Catskill peak and...
2 - Why?

Be well :D

IndianChris said:
1 - What's your favorite Catskill peak and...
2 - Why?
Westkill has great views. I finished my Winter 35 there.

Hunter has a Fire Tower. Great views as well.

Balsam Lake has a Fire Tower too. And I have the key to the heated cabin and tower, if the price is right! :eek:

Actually, we'll be there the weekend of 2/22-24. If you are around, stop by! No charge! :D

Ashokan HP? Howcome? Not that it matters but it's not a 35er right? I don't recall.

TR, that's some cabin. Been inside last time I did that peak. I could stay there year 'round if that was at all a reality. Nice place. Maybe it was you that gave me the tour. Have a dog? Husky? Malmute?

Last edited:
It's impossible for me to pick a favorite anything, but Twin is one of my favorite Catskill peaks. Two summits for the price of one, both with good views, and a lovely boreal tunnel connecting them. Rugged, fun climbs on both sides. And if you approach by way of Pecoy Notch, the coolest old quarry site in the Catskills, plus a beaver dam. Just a lot of neat features in that area.

Matt

IndianChris said:
Ashokan HP? Howcome? Not that it matters but it's not a 35er right? I don't recall.

TR, that's some cabin. Been inside last time I did that peak. I could stay there year 'round if that was at all a reality. Nice place. Maybe it was you that gave me the tour. Have a dog? Husky? Malmute?
Ashokan is not a 35'R but it is a nice hike.

BLM: Laurie's Dad built the cabin a long time ago. Yup, it's nice! :D

If you are interested in being a tower volunteer, (and thereby having year round access to the cabin), contact me offline. I do not have a dog, and I do not remember anyone showing up with face paint, ( :D ), but somehow, I do think we have met before.

Gunks forest on Catskill geology

I agree w/ Freddy that AHP is a real nice peak. The trail follows a nice brook at the start, it's a pretty easy walk for the first 2/3rds and then gets a bit steeper, there are nice views from a couple different spots, and once on top you have several options. You can head back down the way you came, do the loop, or 'whack/herd path out to the little subpeak for more views.

Forestwise, AHP is more like the Shawangunks and southern Catskill foothills than the rest of the Catskills. Lots of oak, laurel and the best blueberry patches in the Catskills. I believe all due to an old burn. All this is a mixed blessing to me. I like the novelty of if compared to it's higher and more northern and western neighbors, I like the transitional feel and I of course like the berries. However, I like boreal forest so much and AHP lacks that. Boreal forest is so rare south of the Adirondacks, and walking through it in the Catskills makes me feel like I've traveled farther than I have. Cheap vacation.

AHP does also have a nice open coniferous stand lower down, through which the trail passes. If memory serves, it is white pine dominating with hemlocks beneath. I don't recall if there are norway spruce, but either way it's a nice area. AHP is definitely a Catskill gem, even w/o the northern tree species.

Matt

Last edited:
Picking a favorite mountain is like picking a favorite child. ;) Rather than give you a favorite mountain I will suggest two of my favorite routes.
A Wittenburg-Cornell-Slide Traverse or a Blackhead range traverse, including an ascent or descent of the north-east side of Blackhead.

I like these because they are both challenging physically, but offer some of the best views in the Catskills and a nice variety of terrain. They are best done using a car spot, but can be modified from a single trail head.

You're all bringing up GREAT suggestions that bring back a lot of memories. The Blackheads are awesome with great views as is Twin.

You know what I was actually thinking of doing...the Escarpment Trail. I've done that in the past as well...it has great views one after the other although not as challenging as some of the ones mentioned above.

AHP definately sounds cool.

Anyone ever do BearPen? That has a nice route with pretty good views as well.

Kepp'm coming!

IndianChris said:
Anyone ever do BearPen? That has a nice route with pretty good views as well.
Just last week! :D

The 'trail' is old roads at the start, and then a little whacking, and then back on roads to the summit. There were snowmobile / ATV tracks at the top. So, you have been warned.

But there are great views both along the way, and at the top.

Yeah, when I was there, snowmobilers were all over the place. What's the snow conditions like? Snowshoes, crampons, bb?
BTW...pm sent to ya, Tom.

IndianChris said:
Yeah, when I was there, snowmobilers were all over the place. What's the snow conditions like? Snowshoes, crampons, bb?
BTW...pm sent to ya, Tom.
It was somewhere between stabilicers and snowshoes. That was 11 days ago though, so I really can't say. Freezing rain / wet snow predicted for tomorrow! :eek:

The Escarpment Trail is a great non-peak option. Start at that trailhead just outside the State Campground (what the heck is the name of the road?), take the Escarpment as far as maybe North Point, and loop back using some of the other trails (the names of which I also can't remember :rolleyes: ).
Beautiful views and forests along a lot of that route. Interesting geology too.

One neat thing about Bearpen is the views north over the smaller peaks and the Schoharie Valley. Someone once pointed out that being outside the Blue Line, Bearpen gives one a view of what the Catskills might look more like if there wasn't a Blue Line.

I agree with Ian's mention of those two classic ranges. For a tough day, try the Burroughs Range after a good snowfall. Climbing Slide goes on for a while. Also agree with his suggestion that routes are as important as peaks. I have fun trying different routes and exploring while repeating climbs of Catskill peaks.

For 'whacks, I think Doubletop is my fave for it's more remote feel. Rocky/Lone via the Neversink provides the same feeling of being a little more "out there."

I'll never tire of those Catskill hills, or of droning on about them.

Matt

Last edited:
I have many favorites among the Catskills. Of the mountains I have climbed I don't think there are any that I do not like.

Probably my most favorite is Ashokan High Peak for all the reasons already discussed. AHP is good in any season including winter. However, my preferred times to climb are in late June when the Mountain Laurel is in bloom, especially on the lower eastern knob where the buds are deep red rather than the normal white with red spots. Early to mid October is another good time when the blueberry and huckleberry bushes turn a bright crimson on both summits, but especially on the lower knob.

Of the 3500' peaks, Twin and Indian Head are probably my most favorites. It is partly sentimental as these were my first two Catskill summits. But I also like the views on both summits of Twin, and the three views on the eastern chin of the Indian Head. Indian Head also resembles an Adirondack mountain with its several steep rocky pitches near the fir/spruce capped summit.

Bearpen is also one of my Catskill favorites. I usually climb it in late summer and autumn when the prolific blackberries are ripe. Another draw are the many bears (over a dozen) which I have seen during my 33 years of climbing this mountain. However, in order to see bears one needs to climb mid-week. The noise of the weekend ATVs and snowmobiles spook the bears. I prefer the approach from Greene County Route 2 which begins at the base of the old Ski Ridge Run Road. This route is described in the "Bearpen Mountain" virtual hike on the Catskill Center for Conservation website. At the top of Ski Run Road the route turns left onto another old road behind a hunting cabin in the Bearpen/Roundtop col. This old road then follows the ridge top to the western and northern viewpoints near the Bearpen summit. This route to Bearpen is all on relatively easy to follow old roads and ATV tracks. Just carefully note which way you came at each of the several old road intersections so you can find your way back to the start of Ski Run Road. An additional option is to climb the 3440' Roundtop Mountain -- which is a short climb along a narrow ATV track that begins opposite the front of the previously mentioned hunting cabin.

I also agree that you will enjoy a traverse of the Escarpment Trail in winter. You avoid the North Lake campground crowds. Also the portion of the trail between North Point and Blackhead is a gem with several worthy viewpoints -- which relatively few Catskill hikers have seen. The views are also more open in winter.

The view from little Ashokan, the sub peak east of AHP, is a really nice view of the Hudson Valley. I've always loved the views from AHP's meadow of the southern Catskills. There's just something about AHP that I love.... it's not the highest peak but it is fairly massive when viewed from the horizon.

I also love the ledge on Lone.I wish I could get back to the cats for awhile and finish the CHH sometime. :)

Last edited:
I remember the view from Bearpen...you could see the upper resevior in Schoharie County I think it was. There's an upper and lower, I believe and the ice covered upper was in plain site.

Indian Head and Twin I've actually been thinking a lot of. I did that in the winter too and I remember the almost vertical climb up the chin of the Indian. This was back when we used to get three, four, five feet of snow all over. The sun was beaming on us as we used hand to hand combat with snowshoes to the point where you get a clear view of Overlook Mt. with its lookout tower. Great memories. And then on to Twin with its awesome views. Maybe I'll see how much of the Devil's Path I can get done because even SugarLoaf and Plateau are great mts.

The Blackheads though are really great with great views. I'll have to narrow it down soon. Maybe I'll spend the night and do a few more.

Doubletop was great also. Going passed Vly pond. Did that in the summer. Lots of bear tracks there.

I have to say, all the hikes have been great but I remember Halcott being nothing to brag about. Don't get me wrong, any hike in the woods is great but no views, not a tough hike, kinda so so. Seemed like I was there just to "get'r done." I don't know. Anyway...we did see a load of bear tracks there (that came pretty close to our tent that morning). I guess every hike is significant/special in its own way.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.